IPA hopping schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
I ordered the ingredients to brew this:

Batch size: 6.0 gallons

OG 1.067
FG 1.017
Color 6° SRM
Mash Efficiency 75%

12.5 lbs. American Two-row
1.5 lbs. American Munich
1.5 lbs. American Crystal 10L
.5 lbs American Crystal 40L

1.5 oz. Chinook 13.6 60 mins
1.0 oz. Centennial 9.0 1 min
0.5 oz. Chinook 13.6 1 min
1.0 oz. Centennial 9.0 dry
1.0 oz. Columbus (Tomahawk) 14.4 dry

76.8 IBU

Wyeast American Ale (1056)

Alcohol
6.7% A.B.V.
5.2% A.B.W.
Calories
222 per 12 oz.

What do you think about the hopping schedule? I am planning on doing a lot of late additions as you can see, have been reading good things about it. Pretty much some bittering at 60, then waiting till flame out to do the next addition, and then dry hopping. I have 2 oz. of Chinook, 2 oz. Centennial, and 1 oz. Columbus to work with. Open to suggestions, but pretty much limited to what I ordered.

You may want to have an addition at 10 minutes or so to get more hop flavor, you are very heavily pitted in the bitterness and aroma as you have it set up now.

Perhaps I was overcompensating in my attempt to not have a super grapefruit taste. I did an IPA with this hop sched and it was too grapefruity for my liking:

1 oz. Magnum 60 min
1 oz. Centennial 15 min
1 oz. Centennial 5 min
1 oz. Centennial dry

Maybe I will do something like this:

1.25 oz Chinook 60 min
1.0 oz Centennial 10 min
0.5 oz Columbus 10 min
.5 oz Centennial 1 min
.5 oz Centennial dry
.5 oz Columbus dry

Should give me about the same IBU (~75) with more flavor. I could put the rest of the Chinook in at 1 min...but not sure how the flavor profile would work with that hop, have not used it before.

Ah ok, yes the grapfruit will come from the centennial if you do get any. I like the new hop profile. I have not used Chinook as a flavor/aroma hop before so I don't know what it has to offer.

I don't mind Chinook as a bittering addition, but I don't really like it for Dry Hopping as I feel it is quite resinous (pine flavor, whatever you want to call it). Centennial will give you grapefruit for sure. Cascade is nice for a little softer grapefruit or citrus but I see you don't have that option. I like to do my IPA with about 60% total IBU's in the bittering addition, the rest throughout and don't forget that Dry Hopping doesn't "add" IBU's but it does add a lot of flavor and aroma.

Back