Mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad451

Reaction score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I really want to ensure success on my first AG brew. Tomorrow I am brewing an AG Stout and I have calculated my water/base malt residual alkalinity at -50. So I am expecting to add some alkalinity to get a RA of somewhere around 225 (with just base malt). That means either Baking Soda or CaCO3 (chalk), right? Of course, this is theoretical since I don't know exactly what sort of acidity my combo of flaked barley and black patent will contribute. So would I be best off just chucking my pre-mash calculations and relying solely on pH measurements once I begin the mash with the expectation that I am going to have to raise the alkalinity to get a proper 5.2 pH? Is that the surest way to go about things?

I don't need to hire a chemist do I? Because that would definitely make this the most expensive five gallons of Stout ever.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I really want to ensure success on my first AG brew. Tomorrow I am brewing an AG Stout and I have calculated my water/base malt residual alkalinity at -50. So I am expecting to add some alkalinity to get a RA of somewhere around 225 (with just base malt). That means either Baking Soda or CaCO3 (chalk), right? Of course, this is theoretical since I don't know exactly what sort of acidity my combo of flaked barley and black patent will contribute. So would I be best off just chucking my pre-mash calculations and relying solely on pH measurements once I begin the mash with the expectation that I am going to have to raise the alkalinity to get a proper 5.2 pH? Is that the surest way to go about things?

I don't need to hire a chemist do I? Because that would definitely make this the most expensive five gallons of Stout ever.

Don't think twice about that horse. It's been dead a long time. I fear you are overthinking things here although it would be nice to see what your water report looks like. BTW it is the dark roasted grains that bring down the pH of the mash not the flaked barley. If you want to keep it simple I would add 1 to 1.5 tsp of calcium carbonate to the mash and be done with it. It will be enough to take care of things on your first go and you can get more technical as you gain experience. :mug:

Well, I do have a tendency to overthink things a bit. Thanks for the reassurance.

Back