Homade Prosciutto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stove1

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Fisrt time post I am working on a prosciutto and I was wondering how I can check if it is ready. I started the curing process in early june and hung it in late july (posting late November) with a layer of pork fat covering it to keep it moist. the humidity around 60%, good air flow really low temp though around 4C

What was the green weight of the ham? A 30% reduction is a good indicator that's it's dried enough. I like my hams funky though, so they always hang for at least a year to eighteen months depending on the size. I've had some three year hams that were mind blowingly good, so patience is definitely rewarded.

Thanks for the reply! I wrote the green weight a tag attached to the ham, but I am currently out of my home country. I can find that information out if you need. A couple more questons if I may... Should I expect any white mold development at this stage? (The ham hangs near other products, ie: chorizos) also I did apply a coat of fat to cover the ham.
Thanks from a first time ham maker

Latest posts

Back