Help with nut brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calmbrews

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's only my 3rd batch of hb. I'm after a high gravity nut brown recipe. I already have

1*x AMBER LIQUID MALT EXTRACT 1.5KG
1*x DARK LIQUID MALT EXTRACT 1.5KG
1*x CHOCOLATE PALE -- 900 EBC (BAIRDS)
0.5*x CRYSTAL PALE -- 95 EBC (BAIRDS)
1*x FUGGLES (UK) '09 CROP 3.8%AA 50gm
1*x HERSBRUCKER (GER) '09 CROP 4%AA 50gm
1x Amarillo pellets
And us-05,6-04, Belgian lager yeast and corn sugar

I'm happy to buy more stock so not restricted to the above.

Cheers guys

ok then, If i had that stuff i would use the Amber, the dark, the choc, the crystal, the fuggles,the hersbrucker and 04? and maybe some of the corn sugar.
(maybe not all of the choc. maybe half)

i use willamette hops and nottingham yeast. hazelnut extract at kegging/bottling helps the nutty.

Cheers guys. What sort of hop schedule do u think for hersbrucker and fuggles?

Also I have hazelnuts, was considering crushing about 300g and adding to grain at the beginning. Anyone tried this? Or should I get some hazelnut extract instead?

I made a similar thread recently and was advised to include special roast and a brown malt. Check those out and see if they sound good to you.

Cheers guys. What sort of hop schedule do u think for hersbrucker and fuggles?

Also I have hazelnuts, was considering crushing about 300g and adding to grain at the beginning. Anyone tried this? Or should I get some hazelnut extract instead?

Hazelnuts contain oils that may give you some problems both in the fermenter & with head retention. If you want the nutty flavour, go with malts that lend a "nutty" flavour or go with the extract. Regards, GF.

Back