Non-Homogenized Milk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our local market has started selling non-homogenized milk. I didn't see it on the label when I bought it, and was quite surprised when I poured a glass. It's been so long since I had any, I'd totally stopped shaking the jug first. Yeah. Surprise!

Anyway. How is non-homogenized milk for cheese making?

What brand? Local, or "Grassmilk"?

It's superb. I use it all the time. I've got 3 gallons of it ready to make a cheese tomorrow (was going to tonight, but there was a game on).

I think that it has a higher-than-normal fat percentage. At least I do know that it makes some very creamy cheese. I just made a blue cheese with it and it's excellent. I also have a Jarlsberg (similar to swiss) that I cut into last night that is very nice.

It's probably more expensive that your normal supermarket milk, but if you have it available in Whole, use it. Note that since it is pastuerized, you should add calcium to it before adding rennet. You can get calcium chloride from homebrew stores, aquarium shops, etc.

A local deli sells a milk like that and it's friggin PRICEY! I'd thought about making cheese from it, but I can't make myself spend that coin.

A local deli sells a milk like that and it's friggin PRICEY! I'd thought about making cheese from it, but I can't make myself spend that coin.

If you find a cheese store and see the price for a pound of blue cheese or similar, you'll see that you're still saving money even with the $$ milk. For cheddar, maybe not so much.

I still haven't determined if it's any better than normal storebought, with CaCl added. I think it is, but not much science behind that statement.

If you find a cheese store and see the price for a pound of blue cheese or similar, you'll see that you're still saving money even with the $$ milk. For cheddar, maybe not so much.

I still haven't determined if it's any better than normal storebought, with CaCl added. I think it is, but not much science behind that statement.

I doubt I will be pricing Bleu Cheese in my lifetime! I tried a "real" bleu cheese from a fancy restaurant nearby and it was edible, which is WAY better than any bleu I've had before.

I picked up another brand of Brie, though. Last one was ok if I cut the rind. The rind gave it a distinct dirt/earthwork flavor.

Back