The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fire play their home opener against Sporting KC this weekend, but it's supposed to be cold and possible snow flurries. I don't know if I want to go in that, but I have missed live soccer.

On another topic - Wales v England for Euro 2012 qualifying tomorrow morning. I wouldn't mind seeing the upset here!

Yeah, that's the Fire I was talking about... The website doesn't load, maybe it is something weird on my end?

I looked at the section 8 stuff. That would be a blast, but with two small kids I don't think i could make use of their INCREDIBLE offer. $200 for season tickets! wow.

Huh, that's odd that it's not loading for you. And yes, keep the young ones out of Supporters Sections in general. Inside the masses it's rowdy, loud, boozy and vulgar. Perfect atmosphere if not for the kids :D:D

Televised soccer today:

Seattle Sounders FC vs Houston Dynamo (7pm PT; 10pm ET; Fox Soccer Channel.)
seattle_150.png
houston_150.png

The Sounders are looking for their first win after two disappointing results. There is the possibility of them missing out on their star midfielder, Steve Zakuani. And of course, they let go of Designated Player Blaise Nkufo due to disagreements off the pitch.

Houston, while losing their home opener against Philly, look good and can provide a real threat for Keller and the Rave Green's back-line.

Holy crap... I feel like I burned my eyes out. Literally watch soccer all day yesterday, from 11am until 9pm. The longest break was like 15 minutes before the USA v Argentina match.

But wow, what a weekend. This season is looking to be quite different from 2010. Some clubs have made some real changes for the better... others look excellent on paper but are having rough starts.

First off, though, USA Yanks vs Argentina La Albiceleste: 1-1
I'd like to start of by saying I loved seeing New Meadowlands packed for a friendly, and the American Outlaws were loud and offered great support. Also, those are some slick-ass new kits!!!

But down to the action. Oh.... my.... GOD, Argentina was spectacular. If they had played like that throughout WC2010 they would have won. But unbelievable amounts of kudos to the Yanks for keeping them from scoring until the 43' considering the huge number of chances they got. Oh, and speaking of that... I want to have Tim Howard's love-child. WHAT A BEAST! And of course the youngster Agudelo having an amazing rookie year, both for the USMNT and NYRB.

Toronto FC vs Portland Timbers: 2-0
PDX is having a rough start. Silly mistakes on defense cost them and, despite having several chances, TFC's backline stayed strong.

Chicago Fire vs. Sporting Kansas City: 3-2
What a shootout! It seems like Sporting can't stay away from high scoring games. The officiating was terrible, though, allowing Chicago to get the advantage when SKC's Omar Bravo was sent off with a red.

On a side note, Ochocinco got his trial extended until Monday where he will actually be playing in a Sporting Reserves match. I know Reserve League matches aren't supposed to be televised but I'm really hoping this one is.

Philadelphia Union vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC: 1-0
Recently-expanded club hosting the new expansion club. Philly looked great and, as usual, the fan atmosphere was stellar. Of course the result was aided by the fact that the Caps were playing a man-down for a lot of match.

On a side note, #1 SuperDraft pick Omar Salgado has been approved by FIFA to play for the Whitecaps prior to turning 18.... that should really help them add depth to the attacking side.

Columbus Crew vs. New York Red Bulls: 0-0
A tough fought game. NYRB held on strong, especially considering they were missing a lot of signature players due to national team call-ups.

New England Revolution vs. D.C. United: 2-1
Worst officiating I've seen in a looooooong time. Both of the Revs goals were the result of crap calls: first one was right after a blatant handball in the penalty box, the second a PK (resulting from a yellow card) given for what should have been a no-call. Luckily Davies was able to dig DC out a little with a late PK (also keeps him in the lead for the Golden Boot runnings.)

Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy: 4-1
Good lord that was painful to watch. I wanted to turn it off after the third goal in the first half but I have to support my LAG through the crap. The defense was sloppy, confused and slow. Omar Gonzalez needs to healthy friggin fast because Leonardo is pissing me off. Now, I'm not saying the loss was all LA's fault; RSL played spectacularly. Their possession in the midfield made it so LA's middies just disappeared for long periods of time. I could talk about this match forever and how unbearably frustrating it was but there are still others to cover.

FC Dallas vs. San Jose Earthquakes: 0-2
Chris Wondolowski (SJ), after a rough start against RSL last week, netted two nice goals to keep himself competitive in the Golden Boot running. Dallas may have lost but it definitely wasn't for a lack of trying... they definitely had their opportunities but just couldn't finish.

On a side note, Pizza Hut Park was friggin empty. I had higher hopes for Dallas when their home-opener drew ~19,000.... but 11,000 is just unacceptable.

Chivas USA vs. Colorado Rapids: 0-1
Well, LA may have lost but at least I can take solace in the fact that the Goats still don't have any points. Chivas had their chances but never finished. I wouldn't say Colorado had a severe advantage but they were able to capitalize on goal opportunities better.

On a side note, also a pathetic showing by Chivas fans.... 13,000 is poor at best, but pathetic considering the 27,000 seat capacity of the Home Depot Center.

I was at the Fire v. Sporting KC game, in the supporters section, it was cold but outstanding. Marco Pappa had a great goal, and one of the new forwards, Chavez from Uruguay, now has two goals in two games.

My favorite chant of the day was:

You are still the Wizards!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yep. They're playing well, but just aren't finishing. Jones and Chandler are both looking good. Should be good additions to the team in the future.

Beer geeks love football. I just got back from the craft brewers conference and was absolutely amazed how many football jerseys I saw, representing countries, European teams and especially MLS. I didn't see any American football, baseball or basketball shirts all week. Surprised and pleased that our community follows the beautiful game! Go on Liverpool!

Great showing by Chicago in the US Open Cup match. I missed the 45 yard goal because they don't do replays (I was cooking) so I'll be eagerly awaiting the highlight reel.

They play the winner of POR-SJ.

Stood in the nonstop rain to watch the Timbers win their US Open match against Chivas with a 35 or 40 yard skipper from Jewsbury. We hadn't even stopped cheering when he assisted the second goal off of a corner a couple minutes later.

Alhassan was everywhere- I think his workrate surpassed anyone else in green. He'll be a good player for the Timbers if he sticks around.

Stood in the nonstop rain to watch the Timbers win their US Open match against Chivas with a 35 or 40 yard skipper from Jewsbury. We hadn't even stopped cheering when he assisted the second goal off of a corner a couple minutes later.

Alhassan was everywhere- I think his workrate surpassed anyone else in green. He'll be a good player for the Timbers if he sticks around.

Luckyyyyyyyyyy! I'm sure it was nice to smell those wood slices being cut..... smelled like victory ;)

Gleeson was fantastic. Helluva performance for a young keeper.

Oh and there's a link to the highlight video on the front page of TheCup.us... try to find yourself, dwarven_stout. And I don't mean that in an existential way, I mean try to identify your drenched self in the stands :D

Oh and there's a link to the highlight video on the front page of TheCup.us... try to find yourself, dwarven_stout. And I don't mean that in an existential way, I mean try to identify your drenched self in the stands :D

Nope. We were in that student seating (the game was at the tiny 5000 seat UP stadium), but we were just off the touchline on the other side of the half. The touchline ref on that side was horrible- several times (for both teams) he would run to catch up to the line of play, then decide that the player had been offside. He also managed to flag offsides for a poor back header that Portland almost scooped up.

Gleeson was fantastic. You could also actually feel the mood on-field shift as Captain Jack came on. Chivas should have gone a man short even earlier than they did- that defender was playing an elbow to the head on every long ball. They started playing 9 men behind the ball after that, but they were still putting in some risky, questionable tackles.

Nope. We were in that student seating (the game was at the tiny 5000 seat UP stadium), but we were just off the touchline on the other side of the half. The touchline ref on that side was horrible- several times (for both teams) he would run to catch up to the line of play, then decide that the player had been offside. He also managed to flag offsides for a poor back header that Portland almost scooped up.

Right, because I'm sure he had suuuuch a nice angled-view of the offside line he couldn't see :rolleyes:

Gleeson was fantastic. You could also actually feel the mood on-field shift as Captain Jack came on. Chivas should have gone a man short even earlier than they did- that defender was playing an elbow to the head on every long ball. They started playing 9 men behind the ball after that, but they were still putting in some risky, questionable tackles.

Oh yeah, I was reading an article where Spencer was saying his players were at risk for having their legs broken.... on more than one occasion!!!

Oh yeah, I was reading an article where Spencer was saying his players were at risk for having their legs broken.... on more than one occasion!!!

There was a moment in the second half in which 3 Timbers players were lying on the ground (2 after slide tackles), and the play was still moving downfield.

Advantage, I guess? :mug:

Just a bit of fun. I had to watch this as a part of my job. :)

Edit: it's Zidane BTW against some poor amateur sap in training.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's a preview of the match tonight. I'll follow up with a full weekend preview later.

columbus_150.png
vs
dallas_150.png

Columbus Crew vs FC Dallas -- Fox Soccer Channel 4:30 Pacific Time

The Pioneer Cup rivalry begins as the Crew host the Hoops in what should be a well-played match, considering the sides. Things should get interesting as this is Jeff Cunningham's first match against Dallas, his old club.

I haven't found any links to the match on the intarwebz yet but they usually turn up closer to kick-off.

And here's a preview for Saturday, April 2nd:

*Broadcasts listed are only the nationally available ones. Check local listings for your clubs' match
**All matches on MatchDay live also available on Direct Kick
***Both Chicago and Salt Lake have a bye this week

toronto_150.png
vs
chivas_150.png

Toronto FC vs Chivas USA -- MatchDay Live 10:00am Pacific Time
The goats have been been struggling so the rebuilt TFC should have no problem with them at home

vancouver_100.png
vs
kansas_100.png

Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs Sporting Kansas City -- MatchDay Live 4:00pm Pacific Time
Both clubs are trying to "find themselves" so to speak. The Caps DP Hassli is suspended for a red card while Sporting will also be missing their DP Bravo on a red card.

newengland_150.png
vs
portland_100.png

New England Revolution vs Portland Timbers -- MatchDay Live 4:30pm Pacific Time
Though Portland has been struggling in MLS season play, they are coming off a big US Open Cup qualifier victory.... I'm sure that woody scent in Jewsbury's room has him pumped for more! But they'll have to do some work as the Revs have gone through some serious off-season work and it's showing.

newyork_150.png
vs
houston_150.png

New York Red Bulls vs Houston Dynamo -- MatchDay Live 4:30pm Pacific Time
Each club has had a less-than-typical start to the season, with NYRB at least staying unbeaten. This week NY will see a full squad as their internationals are back from national club duties.

And this is a two-part post because I'm only allowed 10 images per post

sanjose_150.png
vs
seattle_150.png

San Jose Earthquakes vs Seattle Founders FC -- MatchDay Live 7:30pm Pacific Time
Both squads are looking solid, though have had slow starts. There is a chance Seattle's Freddy Montero will be out due to a minor wrist surgery but it's still questionable. They should be worried more about their defense, though, as 2010 Golden Boot winner Chris Wondolowski is hitting his stride again with two goals last week.

losangeles_150.png
vs
philadelphia_150.png

Los Angeles Galaxy vs Philadelphia Union -- MatchDay Live 7:30pm Pacific Time
While LA has been working all week to work out minor issues that caused them to get wrecked by RSL last weekend, Philadelphia are having a great start to their sophomore year. Hopefully Omar Gonzalez will be back to be the backline general to put more pressure on "El Pescadito."

Dammit, West Ham! Up 2-0 at the 45th against Man U, then loses 2-4?!?!? I didn't see the game, must have been a horrible last 45.

newengland_150.png
vs
portland_100.png

New England Revolution vs Portland Timbers -- MatchDay Live 4:30pm Pacific Time
Though Portland has been struggling in MLS season play, they are coming off a big US Open Cup qualifier victory.... I'm sure that woody scent in Jewsbury's room has him pumped for more! But they'll have to do some work as the Revs have gone through some serious off-season work and it's showing.

Looks like Captain Jack gets another slice! Also, what'd I say about Alhassan?Kid's a workhorse.

Dammit, West Ham! Up 2-0 at the 45th against Man U, then loses 2-4?!?!? I didn't see the game, must have been a horrible last 45.

hehe. My lot were down 2-0 after 60 mins, then got two goals in 65 seconds and a third 10 minutes later and went on to win. That's the trouble with s*ccer, no goals and no narrative. ;)

Wow, good day of soccer yesterday. A lot of matches resulted in draws, though. I need to wait until later to post the results (working on my chest freezer convesion! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) but here's a preview for the match today:

colorado_150.png
vs
dc_150.png

Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United -- Galavision 4:00pm Pacific Time
The current MLS Cup Champs host a thriving United side, seeing rebirth after excellent off-season acquisitions such as Dax McCarty and, most importantly, Charlie Davies (BEAST!) But the Rapids have been doing some damage with veteran / Ginger Ninja Jeff Larentowicz and up-and-comer Quincy Amarikwa.

I've been too busy with school to post the game follow ups... plus I'm a little drunk from BBQing so I'd probably end up messing stuff up anyway. But you should watch this tomorrow, support the remaining American club in the CONCACAF Champions League:

Saprissa_0.jpg
vs
saltlake_60.png

Saprissa "El Monstruo Morado" vs Real Salt Lake -- Tuesday April 5th, 7pm Pacific Time, Fox Soccer Channel
RSL lead the two-leg series at 2-0 on the aggregate. The tournament has a home-goal-advantage rule so all RSL has to do is score one goal and they win even if the Purple Monster scores three goals.

Also, Purple Monster is a great euphemism. I can't wait for the commentary... I'm going to write down all of the times it turns into a euphemism or a "that's what she said" situation. ALSO: drinking game.

GO AMERICA!

Here's the weekend wrap-up:

Columbus Crew vs FC Dallas -- 2-0
The Crew finally get their season rolling. Captain Gavin put in the icing goal in extra minutes to seal the deal.

Attendance: 14,549 of 20,455 -- better, but still not great

Toronto FC vs Chivas USA -- 1-1
With TFC losing their big man De Rosario on the 1st (seriously thought it was an April Fool's joke) they still managed to pull out a result against a struggling Chivas side.

Attendance: 18,968 of 23,000 -- while that isn't a bad showing, the club that set the standard for attendance for the league is being overshadowed now.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs Sporting Kansas City -- 3-3
A match with both sides missing their DPs on suspension. Sporting had total domination and lead for almost the entire match with two early second-half goals from Teal Bunbury (I LIKE THAT BOON-BOO-REE!) and a follow up from Kamara. But after a 76' minute goal, the Caps faithful pumped up the club to help them rally to a 3-3 draw in extra time. What an incredibly exciting match. I have to post this highlight reel.

Attendance: 20,518 of 23,528 -- keep it up, Caps. You're already doing better than your countryman club to the East.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ir4cO2twCho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New England Revolution vs Portland Timbers -- 1-1
The Timbers finally have a point in regular season play! Cap'n Jack coming up big again for Rose City.

Attendance: 7,114 of "22,385" -- Absolutely pathetic; the Revs continue to be the red-headed step-child of league attendance. And I put the max capacity for soccer in quotation marks because that's bullshyt. Gillette stadium holds 68,756... so they filled 10.3% of the stadium... congratulations.

New York Red Bulls vs Houston Dynamo -- 1-1
Tally Hall, Houston's keeper with the sweet name, worked his ass off once again while his backline were mediocre. Good for them for getting a result against a beefed up NYRB side but they're going to need to step it up if they hope to eventually make the playoffs. As for NY, DeRo is already showing TFC he deserved the raise he wanted by getting and assist for Dean Richards in his first showing for the Red Bulls.

Attendance: 13,664 of 25,189 -- wow, just barely squeaked past half capacity. How is it that a successful club in one of the most densely populated regions in the country can't put asses in seats? It's such a nice stadium to be kept so vacant.

San Jose Earthquakes vs Seattle Sounders FC -- 2-2
A great back and forth match. New guys got some spotlight as O'Brien White put up the second goal for Seattle, while older vets started really coming out of their shell (i.e. Zakuani.)

Attendance: 10,276 of 10,300 -- I'm going to go ahead and call that a sell-out :D At least they have an appropriate sized stadium for their market... but come on, Bay Area people. Put down the bongs and show some love for your home team!

Los Angeles Galaxy vs Philadelphia Union -- 1-0
Holy crap sammich!!! This match was pure insanity! While my G's were getting a few starters back (Donovan, Gonzalez [OMAR SMASH!], and Ricketts) Philly has been surging in their second season, coming into the match undefeated. With some tactical changes (Beck's playing a defensive middie role) and the beautiful header from Leonardo, LA was able to escape with 3 points.... and that's even after an unnecessary red-card early in the second half. Oh, and speaking of cards, I believe there were 10 bookings: 8 yellows and 2 reds. I'd say maaaaaaybe 3 of those yellows were justified... and the reds were pointless. All of the other yellows were for time wasting (which weren't really time wasting) or fowls that were definitely not booking worthy. Overall, though, the Galaxy completely dominated the match, even with 10 men for a good chunk of it. Philly didn't have any shots in the first half and ZERO shots on goal the entire match.

Attendance: 24,998 of 27,000 -- Good stuff. LA fans have been out in droves so far this season, even in a torrential downpour.

And here's a highlight reel of the ridiculousness. I'm pretty sure more of the time wasting cards were omitted but they at least got the reds.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/25TmuMfo14o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Colorado Rapids vs D.C. United -- 4-1
Once again DC gets many goals scored on them. They were looking quite stellar for most of the match, tying it up in the 70th minute... but then everything fell apart.

Attendance: 9,857 of 19,680 -- Yeah, it's not like they won the MLS Cup last season or anything.....

Oh, and forgot:

Overall League Average Attendance: 17,971

Not terrible, though it did drop roughly 1000 since First Kick weekend. But it's roughly enough to be a sell-out crowd in Sporting's (soon to be completed) new stadium.

Good updates. I was watching the Vancouver-KC highlights forever waiting for the goals to start.

Of course the big news yesterday was the two Champions League blowouts (one of them a surprise), and Stankovic's long goal in a loss.

Oh, and forgot:

Overall League Average Attendance: 17,971

Not terrible, though it did drop roughly 1000 since First Kick weekend. But it's roughly enough to be a sell-out crowd in Sporting's (soon to be completed) new stadium.

Not terrible? Considering the way s#ccer is treated in general by the mainstream sports media it's pretty fooking good I reckon! That's a lot of people taking the time and trouble, spending the cash and going to games while at the same time having to take a ribbing from their pals and family. :rockin:

That is a number worth taking note of given the supposed stature of the game in the US :)

Latest posts

Back