First batch getting bottled tomorrow! but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
...I have a few questions I cannot seem to locate the answers to.

1. Is there any way to filter beer when bottling?

2. While i work with instrumentation on a daily basis for my job, I cannot seem to understand how the hydrometer readings work. ( i understand how they work actually, just not how the scale on the hydrometer is to be read).

Are there different hydrometers, or more easily read ones? I am using the one that came with the brewers best kit. I have done about 6 months of research on this, and do have some pretty dandy help (the brewmaster from one of the Philadelphia areas most award winning microbreweries), and I feel very prepared for everything, but I do feel oh so stupid having to ask how to read a hydrometer.

Anyone feel like smartening me up?

Hydromt.gif

hydrometer2.JPG

hydrometer-closeup.gif

Do these help?

...I have a few questions I cannot seem to locate the answers to.

1. Is there any way to filter beer when bottling?

You don't want to filter the beer when bottling, because you want the yeast in the bottle, to eat up the priming sugar and carbonate the beer.

It helps very much so, thank you. It would be nice if the starter kits started borrowing your diagrams though.

I was looking to filter only because of some yeast sensitivity the wife has. I guess she can stick to Corona and Yuengling until i start kegging, lol.

Back