PFC Devil Dog!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
Today I am proud Dad of a new Devil Dog. My youngest son just graduated USMC Boot Camp from Parris Is. The transformation is great to see.

He is home for a few days then off for advanced combat training then off to 29 Palms for Communications training.

Thanks for letting me share this joy with you my friends.

PS - have 5 gallons of an Irish Red (6.5%) kegged up ready for his cook out this coming Friday!

223987_4428092818217_770673486_n.jpg

too bad its not really something he can make a decent paying career out of, atleast he doesnt have to pay rent while hes in lol, well congrats to him. i would encourage him to get some sort of a degree though so that way hes not screwed when it comes to jobs when he gets out of the military.

Congrats

too bad its not really something he can make a decent paying career out of, atleast he doesnt have to pay rent while hes in lol, well congrats to him. i would encourage him to get some sort of a degree though so that way hes not screwed when it comes to jobs when he gets out of the military.

This isn't entirely accurate. You can make a decent paying career out of the military once you get some time and rank behind you, especially once BAH and BAS kick in. I served 9 years in the Navy, separated as an E-6 (First Class), and was making 60k a year. That's not too bad, especially with no degree. Once I separated, I landed a job with Lockheed Martin, no degree, as a government contractor doing the same type of work I did in the Navy. The pay was just better. I agree a degree should be pursued while active duty, but there are options. It's not a low paying dead end.

too bad its not really something he can make a decent paying career out of
Mr. Bonehead, I can tell you from personal experience that the kick in the pants that you get at Parris Island can turn a useless wanderer into a hard-charger who would later graduate from a prestigious NE university with honors and an engineering degree. Without that kick, I'd be kicking a can down a street right now. I'm certain of it.

Congrats, Shep! That graduation photo brings back some memories, that's for sure.

bonehead - Are you speaking from experience? Regardless, that's an unfortunate and woefully pessimistic attitude to have, especially when someone is celebrating. I concur with passedpawn and irbefan that you are certainly not screwed if you join the military and don't get a degree. In fact, I got a really good job upon separation, then got my degree practically for free (thanks GI Bill for not imbuing me with a mountain of student loans). I don't feel the least bit screwed.

Back to the topic at hand, Shep - I hope you enjoy your Irish Red and spending a few days with your son...you are right to be proud!

Ewww a comm student in 29. I feel for your boy. Congrats though the fun for him is just beginning.

Congratulations to your son and his dad! My son just finshed training at 29 Palms as aTech Controller and is now stationed at Camp Pendelton. I do see a change in him. He is more focused, and self disciplined.

I concur with PassedPawn!

And OoRah! from a Navy guy

just to clarify, my statement was simply referring to that the military its self doesnt pay all too good, and the military itself usually isnt something you can retire from and than not work. i was not saying you are screwed afterwards just that a degree should be pursued as well, i see too many juice head oh im a marine **** the world kind of guys come out of the military than end up homeless. i wasnt trying to be negative other than trying to state that and that they should get paid more, along with a few other more important jobs such as firefighters and paramedics. seems like the only way to really make money these days is to start out with money, than take more money from the poor lol.

The for kind words and encouragement. I to joined the service 1 yr. after HS. One of my best decisions. Gave me the frameworks for what I have now. Completed college after service vs while serving.

My feeling is it should be mandatory 4 yrs. for all youth.

Congrats from an army guy, I am currently in afgahanastan and love my job. The pay and benefits are a lot better than most places. I know how you feel my son joined the air force last year and i was pretty excited for him ( other than the fact that I am getting old ). Again congrats, you have a lot to be happy for.

Back