How Long Can I Wait to Re-Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrickPig

Reaction score
I brewed a Flemish Red recipe on Sunday afternoon. As of last night, there has been no fermentation activity of any kind. I've been brewing for over 16 years and, while I've had stalled fermentations before, this is the first time I've ever had no fermentation at all. My question is in regards to the urgency of the situation: How much time do I have to get more yeast and re-pitch? I don't have any more of the Belgian Sour yeast I used, and it will take some time for me to get more from my usual supplier. How quickly will my batch go bad (or will it go bad at all)?

I feel like this is an awfully basic question, but as I say, I've never had this problem before....

By no activity you mean nothing in the airlock or the gravity hasn't changed? I got a wood chip stuck in the rib of a bucket once and it didn't look like anything happened for three batches. Then I looked at the seal. It's hard to put a time line on how much time you do or don't have though. That's dependent on too many variables.

By no activity you mean nothing in the airlock or the gravity hasn't changed? I got a wood chip stuck in the rib of a bucket once and it didn't look like anything happened for three batches. Then I looked at the seal. It's hard to put a time line on how much time you do or don't have though. That's dependent on too many variables.
Both. And definitely not a leaky seal on the bucket, as I am using a carboy. As far as timeline, are we talking days (5 have already passed) or hours? I just need to know if I have time to order, or if I need to take a road trip to a supply shop somewhere.

I would say the sooner the better, so that another yeast/beast doesn't get a hold of your beer. But then again, it's been 5 days and nothing has happened... you have some good sanitation!

Out of curiosity, did you pitch just one pack of Rosealare? Or what?

Well good news is that if the Sach strain in there crapped out on you, the rest of the bugs are probably still viable. So if you add some T-58 Dry belgian now, it won't be that much different from what you originally wanted.

Yesterday I picked up a Wyeast Belgian Sour, gave the brew a good stir, and re-pitched. This morning I see what appears to be the beginnings of a krausen. Fingers crossed....

Latest posts

Back