Help with Stir Motor Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am building a stir motor for my eBIAC setup for mash temperature improvement. My heating elements are in the bottom of the kettle and I need to get the heated wort up and around the mash. Recirc is not doing the job and I do not want to hand stir the entire mash. So stir motor he we come!

I have a motor (pictures below) and would like to make a 2 bladed stir arm, maybe a "T" sort of design. (2 example images).

My 1st problem is how to attached any rod/pipe to the motor. It has a threaded end which looked like it would be a good thing but I am having a tough time finding anything to use outside of threaded couplings. I do not want to use a threaded rod.

My second problem is what should I build the stirrer out of? Copper is the cheap homebrewer's friend but How do I connect any sort of copper setup to the threaded motor shaft?
I thought of maybe getting a solid brass rod or bar and either tapping the end or finding one that is threaded. But this is raising the price and weight.

So I am looking for creative help here. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Motor.JPG

Stir Arm.JPG

Stir Arm 2.JPG

I used 1/2" copper pipe and soldered an internal reducer bushing I could thread on the paddle end and ream on the driven end along with 2 setscrews.

Forget to ask about your motor, mine is a little fast at 45rpm, I'd like to find one closer to 30rpm

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The motor has two settings of 35 or 50 rpm. I think I will go with the slower setting. Torque is rated at 53 in-lbs. I did not realize that having a metric thread on the motor was going to be such a pain. I think I am going with a solid brass rod with a tapped hole to just thread on the motor. The rod will allow easy attachment of the arms as well which I will probably make out some type of brass plate.

Still on motion about how I want to go about it though.

Where did you get your motor? I introduced my dad to home brewing and although he doesn't care too much for beer. he likes to do things smarter not harder, and stirring was out of the question for him. so how much and where did you get your motor?

Another option,
I just used a dc motor and a cheap DC pwm speed controller to vary the motor speed (they are about $6) it works very well and I have a lot of control over the speed.

And I also haven't decided how to connect my paddle shaft assemblies to their drive shafts. I'm thinking of taking my 5/8" SS shafts to a machinist and having threads cut, and welding a 5/8" rod coupling to my output shafts, but haven't finalized it.
I'm also not sure if I need shaft support in the bottom of the kettles or not. I'm thinking I do, and purchased the following for that purpose.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4vXJz1SOThZU1Jkc2JyYUQ3Rlk
and
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4vXJz1SOThZS1VzeDVvaGx4aFU

If you are referring to the photos posted, they are not mine. I am going to have my setup welded up soon though. I will post some photos.

Good luck with your build.

Back