Cold crashing and bottling before FG reached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an extract/specialty grains ordinary bitter tomorrow, and I want to try to follow the fermentation temp schedule outlined in the "British Yeasts, Fermentation Temps and Profiles" thread, found here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

I have one concern. The procedure calls for me to chill to 43F for 2 days when gravity is 1/5 from target. In my recipe (1.038 OG, 1.011 FG) that would mean a crash cool at about 1.016.

My yeast (Notty) ferments down to 57 F. It seems like it will wake up again when I bottle and the beer climbs from ~43 F to room temp, and then those last five gravity points will be fermented.

I will be adding corn sugar for 1-1.5 volumes CO2, the restrained carbonation of the "real ale" style. Nevertheless, I am concerned that the unfermented wort together with the corn sugar will make for potential bottle bombs.

What do you think? Is this fermentation profile better for folks who keg than for those who bottle? Or am I making a big deal out of this for no reason?

Did you listen to the CYBI show?

IIRC, they eventually let the beer come back up and finish out. It's the profile that makes the yeast express certain esters that provide the flavor.

I'm going to brew an extract/specialty grains ordinary bitter tomorrow, and I want to try to follow the fermentation temp schedule outlined in the "British Yeasts, Fermentation Temps and Profiles" thread, found here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

I have one concern. The procedure calls for me to chill to 43F for 2 days when gravity is 1/5 from target. In my recipe (1.038 OG, 1.011 FG) that would mean a crash cool at about 1.016.

My yeast (Notty) ferments down to 57 F. It seems like it will wake up again when I bottle and the beer climbs from ~43 F to room temp, and then those last five gravity points will be fermented.

I will be adding corn sugar for 1-1.5 volumes CO2, the restrained carbonation of the "real ale" style. Nevertheless, I am concerned that the unfermented wort together with the corn sugar will make for potential bottle bombs.

What do you think? Is this fermentation profile better for folks who keg than for those who bottle? Or am I making a big deal out of this for no reason?

Back