Primary/Secondary why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I switched from Carboys to Sanke kegs for my fermentation. My normal fermentation (not very many under my belt) is gong to be 2-3 weeks in my sanke keg and then racked into corneys for final 2-3 weeks prior to drinking.

I have an orange APA AG that I want to make that reads : ferment @ 60ish in primary for two weeks, then rack into secondary and add 2 oz of cascade whole leaf for two weeks and keep @ 60ish. My question is this.....why couldn't I just leave it in the sanke primary, at two weeks add the hops (fine bag) and reseal it for the remaining two weeks?

Anybody do this?

No reason at all. Go ahead and do just that.

Frankly, what I do is rack into my corney key and dry hop in that. And I serve directly from that.

Ok sounds great ...thanks guys

hercher,

I thought of that idea but wont the hop leaves make their way to the bottom of the corney fluid pickup tube and clog it?

Ok sounds great ...thanks guys

hercher,

I thought of that idea but wont the hop leaves make their way to the bottom of the corney fluid pickup tube and clog it?

Yes, but if they are in a decent hops bag or in a tea strainer (stainless ball), they would stay contained pretty well. I've done it in the past, but I prefer not to, because of a couple of clogged diptubes.

hercher,

I use women's nylons for dryhopping. Get a pair of knee high stockings, and put your hops in that. If you can get a couple stainless steel marbles or weights, that will hold them at the bottom. The leaves won't clog the tube that way.

Back