Thick sediment on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolidayIF1488

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 3 gallon batch of barley wine. When I opened my primary today for a gravity reading there was about an inch thick sediment on the top. I've never seen this before. Can anyone help me out with this.

unionrdr said:
You mean like yeast rafts,or thick foam? Pics would help.

Yeast rafts. Not thinking I scooped it off& racked to a secondary. I normally use a long primary but didn't think it wise to leave it like that. In hindsight I should have taken pics and consulted first.

unionrdr said:
Yeast rafts are fairly normal. Chunks get swirled up off the bottom sometimes during ferementation.

Enough to create an inch thick cake across the top?

Krausen

image-899804556.jpg

How long has it been fermenting for?

Look at post #5,he further defined it as yeast rafts. I was wondering myself,however,because I've never seen them that thick. I suppose it could happen. I know what krausen is,lord knows I've blown off my share. I was just wondering at that point if the op did?...

unionrdr said:
Look at post #5,he further defined it as yeast rafts. I was wondering myself,however,because I've never seen them that thick. I suppose it could happen. I know what krausen is,lord knows I've blown off my share. I was just wondering at that point if the op did?...

I was just trying to get some more info about it. Cause he later said across the whole top. And with a week and a half long in the primary, the krausen could still be present. It's a big beer, could very well still be pluggin along. Being a dark beer, could be a dark krausen.

Pics would help a lot

Yeah,that's what I said earlier. Pics would be better. But yeast rafts I've seen have had bits of foam around them. Maybe a little of both?
From the pic,it's rather beady lookin. That's a new one.

unionrdr said:
Yeah,that's what I said earlier. Pics would be better. But yeast rafts I've seen have had bits of foam around them. Maybe a little of both?

Just realized I hadn't dumped it all. Just seemed weird to me wanted some opinions. Next time I'll shoot a pic first.

Could still just be yeast rafts. Just never seen one so beady lookin. Infections are more like a thin enzymatic film on the top of the beer. This is different than that.

unionrdr said:
Could still just be yeast rafts. Just never seen one so beady lookin. Infections are more like a thin enzymatic film on the top of the beer. This is different than that.

Thanks man. I guess my best description would be like soggy bran flakes on top.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
it's hops material dude. a li'l more time in primary and that stuff'll settle out.

FWIW, doesn't matter what the airlock said, what's the gravity at? is it stable over a few days?

Thanks. The gravity [email protected] it's 1.025.

Latest posts

Back