9 lb Hammer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
This might just be specifically for Jacktheknife, but it has been brought up before, so maybe others can chime in. Let me start off by saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....Jack, your 9 lb hammer has me intrigued. You had your recipe being..
3lbs dark syrup
6 pounds pale syrup
Hopped up to 10 H.B.U.

You went on to say that you were recommended to use "better" yeast. What did you end up using?

Also, "hops is hops", but what did you use to get your 10 H.B.U.'s?

thanks,
loop

Loopmd,

Thanks for asking,
'9lb Hammer' should be 'hopped up' to 10 HBU.
10 divided by how much alpha acid is in your hops, ie
Example #1...
12.7% ?
10 divided by 12.7 = .78 or 3/4 oz
{ ' oz ' not 'bag' as there is 2 oz per bag.}
3/4 oz of 12.7 hops.
+ finishing hops, 1/3 or 1/2 oz
Example #2...
4% ?
10 divided by 4= 2.5oz
Finishing hops, 1/3 or 1/2 oz
ect...

About yeast..
I used dry ale yeast, and with 2- { 3 is better} ... weeks in the secondary ferminter, = it was good, but thick and sweet.
Gary, {at the homebrew headquarters} said, "of course liquid yeast would be better,"

... he has some 'better' yeast and I will have to call him today and find out as I am not real sure. Rather than use the dry yeast on 9 lb hammer again,
I have gone back to 7.5 lb Hammer, and 8lb Hammer, with dry yeast.
Next treck to the Headquarters, will include:
Better yeast, {I'll let you know today on that one.}

Pale syrup, {I put the dark in, to look 'darker' and it does,}
Can't really taste the dark,
but I don't like guineness which is made from dark syrup and so would prefer 'pale' Hammer next time. Go for 9 lbs of fresh pale syrup.

10 HBU

And I like the 12 oz bottles

I will recommend liquid yeast for 9lb Hammer,
as it still is a lot of 'stuff' for the dry yeast to have to deal with.

More later Knife

Thanks for the details. I'll check back again later. This is definately going to be my next batch. My last batch was 3 lbs pale lme, 2 lbs dme, 2 lbs of honey and 1.5 oz hallertau for bittering and .5 oz hallertau for finishing. Wife likes that one, I think 9 lb hammer will be all for me. :)

thanks again, loop

Back