Fridge went out! what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickme23

Reaction score
The extra fridge went out and we don't have room in the fridge in the kitchen for a 5 gal batch. After fermentation can I just bottle and keep the bottles in a closet? 70 deg normally. Or would that be asking for exploding bottles and/or skunky beer?

It all depends how long its fermenting and what the final gravity is. If it is at the target FG and its been about 2 weeks or more then bottle. If you don't think its quite there yet, set up a swamp cooler.

If it is finished fermenting and clearing (reached final gravity and hasn't changed for about a couple of weeks), go ahead and bottle and put in your closet. What can you clear out of your primary fridge to make room for you brew?

70 is about the ideal temp for bottle conditioning anyways. sounds perfect. longterm storage temps may be ideal a bit lower(55*?) but prolly not that critical unless you are aging something for a long time.

so if the primary is finished and I would normally bottle condition at 70 then I can just leave them at that same temp? I'd normally rack and condition at 68-70 for a week and a half, then refrigerate. But since there's no room I just wanted to make sure that a month of 70 deg storage would be alright. I imagine I'd be able to drink em all by the end of a month so I can't imagine storage at 70 deg for longer than 2 months.

So just to clarify, this would be my normal procedure..

1. Primary fermentation for 9-14 days or until gravity is reached
2. Either secondary fermentation or rack to bottles and condition at ~70 degrees for 9-14 days
3. Refrigerate and enjoy

But because i lost a fridge this is what I hope I can do...

1. Primary fermentation for 9-14 days or until gravity is reached
2. Either secondary fermentation or rack to bottles and condition at ~70 degrees for 9-14 days
3. Storage at ~70 degrees for another month or so

I just don't want to experience exploding bottles or skunky beer because I didn't refrigerate after conditioning for a week or two yaknow?

temperature effects the creation of off flavors, especially oxidation. You will have no trouble in 70 degrees for 2 months. For really light-flavored beers you might start picking up some off character after 3 months or so.

Latest posts

Back