My Cream Ale is too Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big "A"

Reaction score
My Cream Ale is supposed to be a 5.2 SRM but it looks more like a 7 or 8. It was looking fine up until about 30min into the boil. Did I boil on too high a heat and thus introduce more color or is this a natural thing and it will lighten later.

Ingredients:
Dextrine Malt
Honey Malt
Flaked Barley (yes I know not the norm for light beers)
not looking for clarity just wanted to try my hand at mashing plus it will help head retention
Extra Light DME
Hallertau
kent goldings

It isn't going to get any lighter but don't worry about it. The main thing is taste.
If you want to keep your beers light in color you need to go to full volume boils. The concentrated wort in a typical extract brew darkens easily so it's kind of difficult to create low SRM beers. With full volume boils you get almost no darkening of the beer at all.:mug:

You can also try a late extract addition brew. Put in the same proportion of malt that you are boiling water. For example, if you are making a 5 gallon batch and only boiling 2.5 gallons put half of your extract in at the beginning of the boil like normal. then hop as usual. With 15 or 20 minutes left turn off the heat and add the second half of the extract. Mix well so it isn't globbed up on the bottom of the kettle and start boiling again. Once you have a good boil going continue your count down. This will also get you a higher efficiency in extracting acids from the hops you add before the second malt addition.

Ok, so you are correct I did a 2.5gal boil. I am using a 16qt pot. I have been putting off getting an even larger pot because of the expense. All the pots larger than 20qt have been pretty pricey. Are there any suppliers you guys might suggest for the purchase of a 32 qt or larger kettle?

I went to a restaurant supply store here in San Diego and was able to find a 6gallon Stainless steel stock pot for $40, It works well for smaller All grain batches ( 5-5.5gal) but its a little limiting.

I picked up a 44qt SS stockpot & propane burner combo at costco a couple days ago, just shy of $100. Added a propane tank for 20 more. I'd guess that other ones have them too.

Back