star san storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
ive had a few gallons of star san sitting in an ale pale for a few weeks now. is there any adverse side effects to doing this? any harm to the plastic pale? thanks

that shouldn't hurt the pale. While it is an acidic solution, it really isn't that strong. Did you use distilled water to make it? I would be concerned with the pH level changing if you used tap water (which just makes the star san useless, but not dangerous). Otherwise, I think you're ok.

HDPE is EXCELLENT resistance to acids, dilute and concentrated. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it in the bucket. I am 99% sure the container for StarSan is made of the same plastic as your bucket :)
You might want to invest in some pH test strips that can test pH from 3 and below. As long as you are below 3, then you are fine. If your solution manages to work its way above 3, then just add a tiny bit more StarSan to that bucket. Just make sure your solution is still clean (not full of dirt and mold and crap like that)

I keep mine in a keg usually but have had it in a bucket for a week. I do about 2 brewing projects a week and use the same Star san each time and just pour it back into whatever container I am using for storage. I have PH strips that I test the solution before using, it has always been off the chart in acidity. I have not used distilled water so the solution gets murky and starts to collect other debris. Once it looks too ugly I dump it out and fill another batch. Or I'll make another 1/4 oz to 1.25 gallon batch to replace what I pour out.

Latest posts

Back