Extract Sweetness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neuner

Reaction score
First time poster, 5th time extract brewer.

I started out with 2 kits made up by a local store and 3 of my own recipe. My first was an 'American Ale' that was suppose to resemble a typical light beer. The 2nd was a 'Dark Ale' with some specialty grains and mine is a Dunkel with specialty grains. Every batch has been great with exception to a sweetness that I would like to reduce. I read either in a book or online that this is typical of extract brewing. Is this true? Is there anyway of reducing or eliminating it?

The lighter beer and 'dark' had 5lbs of extract, and I'm using 7lbs with my recipe. I keep it in the primary 4-5 days, secondary for 2 weeks, and then bottle. Bottles rest for over 10 days. I use 1-3/4 cup to prime. OG and FG have been right on the mark for the styles.

Does the sweetness go away with time? I had a hefe that had a cidery-sweet taste to it up through 3 weeks in bottles because I primed it with beaucoup corn sugar to get a to-style amount of carbonation (7.2 ounces mass). It was good after 4 weeks or so. If it does go away with time then just let them sit a while longer. If you're priming with 1 and 3/4 cups of sugar you're going to need a while to get it completely fermented out in the bottles. That much priming sugar has to be in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 ounces (mass).

Levers101 said:
Does the sweetness go away with time? If you're priming with 1 and 3/4 cups of sugar you're going to need a while to get it completely fermented out in the bottles. That much priming sugar has to be in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 ounces (mass).

No, it doesn't go away with time. Sampling it before adding the priming sugar and after bottling its about the same, maybe a little less sweet after bottling. I've had some for over 2-3 months and it's still there.

I just read online, 'Using calcium (calcium sulfate, for example) and noniodized salt (sodium chloride) in the foundation water helps the yeast metabolize the complex sugars contained in malt extract.' I'm going to look into this further and maybe give it a try. I also read that there can be a significant difference with the brands. Currently I'm using Munton which is the only one the local store offers. I may try a different one online, any suggestions?

I use 1-3/4 cup to prime.
That is alot of priming sugar for 5 gallons you only need 3/4 cup.

When you add the 2lbs of DME are you also adjusting the hops? The kits are balanced, when you add more DME for Alcohol you are also adding more unfermentable sugar the hop schedule isn't accounting for.

budbo said:

When you add the 2lbs of DME are you also adjusting the hops? The kits are balanced, when you add more DME for Alcohol you are also adding more unfermentable sugar the hop schedule isn't accounting for.

I forget the title of the book I'm using, I'll have to retrieve the name when I get home, but it appears very popular and respected. It stated to use 3/4 cup of corn sugar or 1-1/2 cup of malt extract for priming if beer is to be served at room temperature. If served cold, use 1-3/4 cup of malt extract, so that is what I've been using. On my next batch, I'll try cutting it down, but I have really good carbonation and head retention, so I hate changing it too much.

I guess I'm too new at this to understand adjusting the hops. For the kits I brewed, I didn't add anything or change them in any fashion and they still came out with a sweetness. For my recipe I used a Dunkel schedule which stated 7-7.5 lbs of Light or Amber Malt Extract with 1-1/2 oz of Hallertauer and 1/4 oz finishing hops. This is exactly what I did. Should I change something? It is strange to me that even though I'm using 3 different recipes, the remaining sweetness is the same. It has too be something that has been consistant like my water (Culligan from the store) or the extract brand (Munton)?

budbo said:

If you didnt get more hops and only added in another pound or so of fermentables, you can just boil for a little longer to stretch out what hops you did put in there.

Neuner said:
I forget the title of the book I'm using, I'll have to retrieve the name when I get home, but it appears very popular and respected. It stated to use 3/4 cup of corn sugar or 1-1/2 cup of malt extract for priming if beer is to be served at room temperature. If served cold, use 1-3/4 cup of malt extract, so that is what I've been using. On my next batch, I'll try cutting it down, but I have really good carbonation and head retention, so I hate changing it too much.

I guess I'm too new at this to understand adjusting the hops. For the kits I brewed, I didn't add anything or change them in any fashion and they still came out with a sweetness. For my recipe I used a Dunkel schedule which stated 7-7.5 lbs of Light or Amber Malt Extract with 1-1/2 oz of Hallertauer and 1/4 oz finishing hops. This is exactly what I did. Should I change something? It is strange to me that even though I'm using 3 different recipes, the remaining sweetness is the same. It has too be something that has been consistant like my water (Culligan from the store) or the extract brand (Munton)?

Change your yeast strain my friend some finish dry some sweet! I like a dry beer as well and had to fine a strain I liked I use Danstar Nottingham be sure to use a starter as well.Good luck!:mug:

Been a while....

Did another batch with everything new. New recipe, used malt extract syrup instead of dry, whole hops instead of pellets, dry ale yeast instead of Wyeast Liquid, and tap water boiled. It turned out amazing but with just a tad too much hops for me. I had quite a commercial micro-brew selection in my fridge and everyone who came over for a party wanted mine instead! :ban:

I'd like to buy a stainless steel 12-15Ga fermentor so I don't have to Rack. Any suggestions? Seen the plastic ones for cheaper but don't know how they hold up.

Do you really find racking that big of a deal taht it would justify spending on a conical? I don't think so. Now, going to kegging to avoid bottling day, that's a noble way to pay your way out of doing work.

The one time I have encountered an unexpected sweetness with extract was when I scorched the extract with too high extract concentration w/ too much heat in my boil.

Hi, My standard recipe for ale is 7-8 Lbs D.M.E.
{ 3/4 oz boiling hops, {a high alpha acid hops like warrior, 60' }
and 1/2 oz of flavoring 15', and 1/2 oz aroma 5' { ' = minutes}
A week in the primary and a week in the secondary.
Then to bottles where a month or two will make it ready.

In fact I am boiling me up some right now!

Knife

Your question does not ask anything about experience, or opinion, or justification. You ask,"Any suggestions?"

Please be careful what you ask if you are so limited on what we are supposed to respond to.
We're all just a bunch of brewing nuts who want to help each other, and the longer you hang out here, the more you'll understand that.

JacktheKnife said:
7-8 Lbs D.M.E.
{ 3/4 oz boiling hops, {a high alpha acid hops like warrior, 60' }
and 1/2 oz of flavoring 15', and 1/2 oz aroma 5' { ' = minutes}
A week in the primary and a week in the secondary.

That's pretty much the same ratio & timing I've been using. After this last batch went so well, I'd like to keep it as standard that I will start from also. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back