Buying my first Burner!! how is this one....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1, I love mine. The only minor drawback is the surface area is a tiny bit too small for a keggle if you ever go in that direction. Work around is easy though, put a BBQ grate on top, whalla!
185,000 BTU's is like a small rocket when you crank it up. Remember to fire it up for a good 15 - 20 minutes prior to putting your brew on top for the first run. All of the paint bakes off and puts out some smoke.

I got one of those from Amazon. I've only done a test boil with it so far, because I don't quite have the equipment accumulated to start AG. It worked extremely well. I hooked it up to a standard 20 lb. propane cylinder. The test was with a big Presto 21 qt. pressure canner full of COLD 55F well water from the hose. It brought @ 5 gal of water to a boil in around 23 minutes.....pretty good performance in my book. No adjustments or fiddling of the burner were necessary, just followed the directions packed with it. Part of the reason for the test was to burn off the paint on the burner before I actually brewed. Yes, the paint burns off; yes, this is normal.

great thanks for the responses.... One last thing... Could it handle 10 gallon batches?

I have this burner and the double version with extension legs, they really do put out a mean scream.

It sure can handle 10 gallon batches.

I considered the SP-10 when I was buying my burner, but I ended up buying the SQ14 since the frame has a larger surface for bigger pots. I am sure you could still use the SP10 for larger pots, but they would hang over the rim of the stand.

I got it from Amazon and I love it. However, I got it for like $52 from Amazon shipped free. Sucks it's more expensive now.

Latest posts

Back