priming question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
i just want to be safe..... i made 4.5 gallons of irish stout (extract) . how much corn sugar should i put for that 4.5 gallons? thank you !

thanks guys but now i'm kinda confused. i just wanted to be extra sure ya know. i don't want bottles to start blowing up ! -thanks again

a bigkahuna? what is rdwhahb ???

Check out this cool diagram for calculating priming amounts I pulled from howtobrew.com

Figure 65- Nomograph for determining more precise amounts of priming sugar. To use the nomograph, draw a line from the temperature of your beer through the Volumes of CO2 that you want, to the scale for sugar. The intersection of your line and the sugar scale gives the weight of either corn or cane sugar in ounces to be added to five gallons of beer to achieve the desired carbonation level. Here is a list of typical volumes of CO2 for various beer styles:
British ales 1.5-2.0
Porter, Stout 1.7-2.3
Belgian ales 1.9-2.4
American ales 2.2-2.7
European lagers 2.2-2.7
Belgian Lambic 2.4-2.8
American wheat 2.7-3.3
German wheat 3.3-4.5

Thanks Dutch ! I had googled it earlier: but hea' do you guys use digital weighing scales? Are they accurate? I saw one at a baking shop near by.

Correct 4.5 will work fine but for a stout I feel it would be over carbed for flavor (not bottle bomb over carb).

You don't often find a fizzy foamy stout with a big head.

Go to this site for carbing

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Great reference, Grinder! Thank you!

I am still so new at this that I'm just trying to make beer. :eek: I'm not far enough along to know what carb level I should be aiming for to match a particular style...this calculator is really helpful and informative!

-Tripod

Back