refrigerate LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPing

Reaction score
Hi, just got my ingredient kit in the mail for my first home brew (went with a Hefe) and am curious if I need to refrigerate the LME until I brew, which will hopefully be tomorrow depending on how my yeast gets started up.

Also, I already smacked my yeast pack, does that need to be refrigerated as well, or should I just make a starter in which case is my primary carboy a suitable place to do it in?

Thanks

No, the LME is fine at room temperature. In fact you'll want it warm when you go to add it to your brew pot. Soak the cans in some hot water for 10-15 minutes prior and it'll pour much easier.

The Smack Pack will be fine at room temp also.

Good luck!

If you are brewing tomorrow the liquid Malt Extract is fine. But if you were planning to store it for a while, might as well stick it in the fridge.

As for the smack pack please read the instructions. It clearly states ideal post smacking temps. Sticking it in the fridge will just cause the yeast to go dormant, might as well have not even smacked your pack.

Enjoy the beer.
catfish

Back