Dryhopping - using leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
Ok Earlier this month I brewed up my first made-up recipe. "Ty".P.A.(my last name is Tynan, so the name fits!). I decided to dry hop using leaf hops this time. Two ounces of Columbus. I probably went a little overkill, but I want a STRONG aroma. I have only used pellets for dry hopping in the past. They have been chillin in the carboy for almost two weeks now. Is this enough time? Or should I leave them longer. I read an article somewhere that says if you dry hop with leaf hops longer then a week or two, you can start to develop nasty "grassy" off flavors. Is this true?

I know to use a 6 gallon carboy for dryhopping with leaf hops in the future though. The damn things swelled up like twice thier size, to the top of the neck of my 5 gallon carboy. I got a clogged up airlock about 3 different times. I had to exchange the cork and airlock with a blowoff hose. I didn't have my blow off tube handy so I used a rubber mustang cap and some 3/16 hose for a blowoff tube. I opened up the lid so many damn times. I hope I don't get a contaminated batch. Im rambling now, blah, blah, relax, HAHB.

Two weeks are more than enough for dry hopping. I've avoided using pellets for dryhopping, as they tend to clod the keg's valves. Carboys have the opposite problem, as you've found out. The only time I've gotten a grassy note, is when I used wet hops.

I have done quite a bit of dry-hopping with leaf hops and I'd agree. Two weeks seems to be fine. I went nearly four weeks once on an IPA using Cascades and did experience a 'grassy' flavor when the beer was about four weeks in the bottle. However, after mellowing for an additional 3-4 weeks, it was much less so and more balanced.

Back