Making a Steam Hefe! Need some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollywoodMX

Reaction score
I have the 2112 California Common all smacked and ready for today, now just deciding on the ingredients. Going to ferment at 70-72 degrees and bring out the floral fruity esters. Teying to make an easy drinking beer.

In my stock I have Bavarian WME, Pilsen DME, Light DME, amber DME and Extra light DME, rice syrup.

For hops I have Hall, sazz, tet, cascade, mag, pearl in the fridge.

Should Pilsen malt be a late add in the boil or is that only an all grain issue?

I was thinking this but please offer advice.

3.3 lbs of WDME
2 lbs of Pilsen
1 lb extra light DME

0.5 oz or Pearl or Hall @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade @ 15 min

Let me know.

I could pick some up on the way home? I have the steep bags. What were you thinking? Despite being high quality here I'm not a big fan of Canadian wheat in beers, the bavarian definately has a different taste that I prefer, unless I am mistaking the wheat taste due to the different yeasts used. But Canadian wheat ales are not my taste preference.

Bavarian Hefes typically don't use specialty grains (I think), but you're not using Bavarian Hefe yeast, which provides the signature flavor. I'm not really sure what kind of taste the Cali Common yeast will bring. But that's a good bit of the issue: if the yeast or hops aren't bringing enough flavor, what is?

If you did go with specialty grains, I'd guess Crystal 10L or 20L, maybe 1/2 pound. This keep it light.

Bavarian Hefes typically don't use specialty grains (I think), but you're not using Bavarian Hefe yeast, which provides the signature flavor. I'm not really sure what kind of taste the Cali Common yeast will bring. But that's a good bit of the issue: if the yeast or hops aren't bringing enough flavor, what is?

If you did go with specialty grains, I'd guess Crystal 10L or 20L, maybe 1/2 pound. This keep it light.

Ok, I think your on to something. I think my recipe is sound with the addition of the crystal malt as you suggested, I'll just follow the brewing directions below with my recipe and the added crystal, and just trim the 75 min to a 60 after bitter hops. Does that sound good?

I know I'm bending the rules with this yeast but the higher fermentation temps take it out of the steam beer taste into something unique from what I have been told, my goal is an unorthadox californian/german ale-ish lager.

YEAST STRAIN: 2112 | California Lager™

This strain is particularly well suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers with woody/minty hop flavor. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV

Styles:
Baltic Porter
California Common Beer
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
Cream Ale
Other Smoked Beer
Premium American Lager
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

------------------------------

I found this recipe;

California Common
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.052 FG = 1.012
IBU = 35 SRM = 16 ABV = 5.2%

Ingredients
6.25 lbs. (2.8 kg) pale ale liquid
malt extract
1.3 lb. (0.58 kg) Munich malt
(10-20 °L)
0.8 lb. (0.28 kg) crystal malt
(60 °L)
9.5 AAU Cluster hops (bittering)
(1.6 oz./45 g of 6% alpha acid)
1.5 oz. (28 g) Cluster hops (aroma)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1 package Wyeast 2112
(California Lager) or White Labs
WLP810 (San Francisco) yeast
1 cup dry malt extract (for priming)

Step by Step
Coarsely mill the 2.1 lbs. of specialty grains and place them into a muslin bag. Immerse the bag in cold water and heat slowly, for about 30 minutes to 170–190 °F (77–88 °F). Discard the bag without squeezing it and mix the liquid with about 4 gallons (15 L) of brewing liquor. Heat the liquor and stir in the liquid malt extract. Bring the dissolved malt extract to a boil. Boil for 75 minutes. Add the bittering hops after 15 minutes and the aroma hops and Irish Moss after 70 minutes. After shutdown, let the brew rest for about 15 minutes. Then siphon the wort off the trub and heat exchange it to your preferred pitching temperature (see “Ingredients and Process,” in story), between 58 °F (14 C°) and
72 °F (22 °C).

Ferment for 10 days and rack. Allow an additional week for secondary fermentation. Rack again and prime for packaging. Let the brew condition and mellow in bottles or in a keg for another two to three weeks.

-----------------------

Ok this is what I am settling on, just about to start.

3.3 lbs of WDME
3.3 lbs of Pilsen
1/2 lb of 20/24 pale crystal malt

0.75 oz Perle @ 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10 min

25 IBU

1 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min

Separate boil

1/2 tsp Yeast starter @ 10 min
1 tsp of coriander @ 10 min

2112 in a yeast starter in 1 cup LDME.

sh1.jpg

sh2.jpg

sh3.jpg

kegged it today after a month of fermenting. Even with a starter it still only reached the 68%AA out of 67-71. May be I should have left it longer... But I like the portion of the beer where it was more yeasty (closer to the bottom of the fermentor), as the yeast has a nice fruity appeal. My guess is most steam beers actually filter this out, personally I think its more enjoyable.

First sample while kegging, its' light and crisp. Its my first time using pearl hops. There is definately an earthy/piney/spice taste from the pearl hops. I decided to dry hop 1 oz of cascade in the keg to balance out the pearl. Forced carb'd today.

Should be ready in 3 more days for an accurate and carbed sample.

Back