Help no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbastardo

Reaction score
I brewed A couple of batches the other day. But I think I added the yeast when the batch was to warm, One of the batches is bubbling away nicely. But after 2 days there is no activity in the one batch.

Can I add more yeast to bring it back to life:confused: Is there any way to save it:(

Thanks

Don't sweat it. Personally I'd give it one more day, especially depending on yeast type, age, etc. If there is still nothing going on tomorrow than go ahead pitch again. If you really did kill off the first pitch the wort will be ok sitting a few days, and if the first pitch is slow to act, and you pitch a second time it will be fine.

Suggestion,In the future make a yeast starter. Completely worth the little bit of extra effort.

Awsome, thanks:rockin: I used coopers gold on the second batch (the good one). And whatever came with the kit on the first.

I didnt realise that yeasts were so much differant:confused:

So if the fermintation dosent occure in the next day or 2, then I can add an extra pack of yeast without problem?

Thanks agine for the help:mug:

can you check your current gravity with the original gravity? If Revvy wasn't laid up he would explain that bubbles are not a sign of fermentation. You might have fermentation going on but the seal on your fermenter is not perfect and therefore no bubbles. If you don't have a change in gravity you can add more yeast.

Agree with buffalo, could be a bad seal. Also agree if Revvy was feeling better he would give you an answer and advice better than all of us together. Checking gravity would take any guess work out, lazy way, look at it, has a krausen started to form (foam layer on top)? If so it's fermenting. Roughly what temp did you pitch at?

So the short basic version of a yeast starter. 18 to 24 hours before brew day make a 2000ml wort. Easy way is to mix 200 grams dry malt extract with 2000ml water ( 10 to 1 ratio ), boil 10 minutes then cool to pitching temp. I use an erlenmeyer flask so I can do it all in one container, in a pinch I've used a pot and once cooled poured it into a large mason jars ( only 1500ml). Add oxygen, put on a stir plate, swirl in the jar (every few hours after tge yeast is pitched too), something to help aerate the wort, add yeast, loosely cover with foil and but in a room temp dark place. You will see the ferment start. Next day make your beer then when you would add the yeast just dump in the starter. What this does is get the yeast awake, active, multiplying, healthy and ready to work. Now, this is just a quick simplified explanation of why, but enough of a how that if nothing else it will get you started with a " starter " and one step along in making great beer.

Back