"Pro" brewers who make beers with obvious flaws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you just write off the entire loss, tax and all.. ?
Or, maybe do something like this?
"Aged for 30 days in oak barrels", "Brewed entirely from free-range coastal water"

whiskey.jpg

So you just write off the entire loss, tax and all.. ?

If the creator of a product decides that it would be detrimental to his brand's reputation, then he would write it off. If however he can figure out how to sell it as a 'Aged in 30 days in barrel' or some other thing, "Limited addition wicked beer."

If the creator of a product decides that it would be detrimental to his brand's reputation, then he would write it off. If however he can figure out how to sell it as a 'Aged in 30 days in barrel' or some other thing, "Limited addition wicked beer."

Actually was a pretty green whiskey, 80 proof. Any off flavors probably evaporate long after the whiskey is harvested.

Someone mentioned it a few pages back about putting the snob in beer snob. While I do think that some of these beers being criticized as not that good, probably are pretty damn good beers to about 90% of the population. I also think that your taste may be different then mine or the next guys. I compare it to restaurants. I may love everything a restaurant offers and never had a bad meal while others hate it maybe because they had a bad meal or simply don't like the flavors in the dishes. To each their own. I also think we hold the "pro" brewers to another level as home brewers. I never thought about the whole tax thing but as an accountant, I can find a way to get around that tax loophole, you just have to look hard enough. Some of these beers may be underwhelming but maybe some just critIcize others creations too much because they have the title of a"pro".

I wonder how many of are pallets have acquired a taste for our own brew. I have noticed it with water which here in Florida varies from one end of the spectrum to the other. This one of the reasons I have 12 taps and try to get as many other brewers/beer drinkers opinions as I can. Plus no matter who you are or what you do every pallet is different. An IPA I made got went from not hoppy enough to overhopped across 4 judges.

or better yet donate it to some charity function. That way the brewery can write it off on their taxes, gets some good PR for donating beer, and gets rid of substandard beer. After all who is going to complain about getting free beer??

or better yet donate it to some charity function. That way the brewery can write it off on their taxes, gets some good PR for donating beer, and gets rid of substandard beer. After all who is going to complain about getting free beer??

Depends on the quality of the other beers that are donated and how well the patrons can pick out obvious flaws in beer. We actually had a local brewery donate a keg of beer to our fundraiser that was quite bad - crazy phenolic off flavors and very obviously beer they were trying to get rid of - no one would touch it (despite its low low cost of zero) and it turned several people off to the brewery. Not very good PR at all in terms of drawing people into their taproom.

Depends on the quality of the other beers that are donated and how well the patrons can pick out obvious flaws in beer. We actually had a local brewery donate a keg of beer to our fundraiser that was quite bad - crazy phenolic off flavors and very obviously beer they were trying to get rid of - no one would touch it (despite its low low cost of zero) and it turned several people off to the brewery. Not very good PR at all in terms of drawing people into their taproom.

Yeah I guess it depends on the brewery too. I went to a charity film festival that was selling Sierra Nevada. The beer was donated by a local bar. The beer had very definite flaws...odd phenolic flavor, no hop flavor/aroma, etc. Everyone in CA knows what SN is supposed to taste like and this was NOTHING like SN!! There was still a line for the beer, even at intermission. I doubt anyone will throw in the towel for either SN or the local bar.

Yeah, I'm sure the big breweries can get away with it once in a while. Could definitely hurt a small brewery trying to make a name for themselves though.

Back