First all-grain/BIAB, looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to start my first all-grain brew day tomorrow, and plan to do BIAB. It's a Lemon-Lime Hefeweizen beer.

I understand the standard mash ratio is somewhere around 1.25-1.50 qt/lb. Is it an issue if I go above this ratio? My BK is 8 gallons, and my only other "large" pot is somewhere around 4 gallons. I plan to mash in the BK, obviously, and had wanted to then dunk-sparge in the 4-gallon pot for better efficiency. But I fear the grain bag will be much too full to do that with more than about a gallon of water. Is it fine to dunk-sparge in a clean bucket? At least that would give me an extra gallon to work with.

Can I do a double-dunk-sparge? (i.e. dunk-sparge twice, in the same or separate buckets) That would help me make up the extra water volume.

Does it even matter if I sparge or double-sparge? Can I just top up with water and go? Or will my pre-boil OG be way off doing that?

Any other ideas on sparging? Running water through the grain, rather than dunking?

This is really the part that's throwing me for a loop. The lack of room in the pot will make this a little challenging the first time around. So, I'm looking for the best way to get up to full volume with the least amount of effort (and NOT buying a larger pot).

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking forward to hearing any suggestions you might have.

I BIAB with an 8 gallon pot as well. You will have a very tough time trying to sparge in a bucket. The grain will expand quite a bit after it soaks up the water during the mash. What I do is this: Mash, squeeze/drain the bag, drain wort from my kettle into a bucket, fill the kettle with my sparge water and heat, put the grain bag back in for 10-15 minutes and stir a few times, squeeze/drain the bag. Then I combine my wort back into the kettle and boil.

That's not a bad idea! I think what I'll do is preheat some water in my other pot to toss into the main brew kettle, just to get it started more quickly. Thanks! :mug:

Edit: Is there any reason to NOT increase the water/grain ratio? I could go over 2:1, in my pot, if I wanted. Not sure if that's good or not, though.

After some more reading, I'm seeing a lot of 1.25-1.50 qt/lb ratios. I'm thinking that if I do a ratio of 1.5, I'll use approximately 4.5 gallons for the 12lbs of grain I have. With almost 2 gallons of absorption (around .16-.17 gallons/lb), I'll need another 3.5 gallons for dunk-sparging to get to pre-boil volume. I figure post-boil volume should be around 5.5 gallons. Once I pitch the yeast and add the limeade, that'll push my total volume up to nearly 6 gallons, per the recipe. Does that sound about right? Is my absorption rate too high for typical BIAB applications?

Edit: Looks like BIAB tends to have less absorption, due to draining/squeezing the bag. More like around 0.1-ish gal/lb? That would leave me with 1.2 gallons less water, instead of 2 gallons. So, it would be more like this:

4.5 gallons of mash water
After grain absorption, 3.3 gallons are left.
Dunk-sparge volume: 3 gallons, for a total of 6.3 gallons pre-boil volume (might even go less, depending on how much volume I squeeze out of the bag)

Sound okay?

I've done a bunch of BIAB.....actually all I do. I use http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/ calculator to figure out my starting water volume. It works pretty good, sometimes I add a half gallon or so for good measure. I boil in a 15 Gal post and my boil off is a little higher. I never sparge. Just put my grain bag in an empty 8 gal pot anf smash the hell out of it a bunch of times with a smaller pot lid and keep pouring the wort back into the boil kettle. Always given me really good results.

Thanks, WhiteEagle! I was planning to smash the bag to see how much water I can get out of it. We'll see! I think what I'll do is put graduations on the bucket, so when I pour the mash out to the bucket, that I know how much I'm getting, especially after I squish the bag. Then I'll be able to measure my absorption rate, too.

Hey Spiffy, What I would do would be to max out your 8 gallon kettle w/ say 6 gallons of strike water, you can check here to make sure it will all fit here....

http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

Assuming 10 lbs of grain and 6 galllons/24 qts strike water....2.4 qt/lb mash ratio, total volume is 6.8 gallons, so good here. Having a larger volume during the mash will hold temps better during the mash rest.

After mashing, this should yield about 5 gallons of wort that can be put on the heat to boil.

Then simply dunk sparge in another 1 1/2 gallons of water in the 4 gallon pot and combine in the 8 gallon for 6 1/2 total preboil. If easier, even a cold water dunk sparge will work, keep it simple. Good luck w/ the brew...

Thanks, wilserbrewer. I thought about using more strike water. But I didn't ask soon enough about it, so I just used a standard 1.5 qt/lb ratio. Amazingly, squeezing the bag reduced my absorption down to under 0.06 gal/lb, so I had more sparge water than I needed.

Are there any issues with having too large of a grist ratio? I'm guessing not really, but I have read somewhere that the enzymes for conversion have less contact with the grain, so conversion can take longer in a thinner mash.

Back