Heather Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I'd like to brew an extract base heather ale with no hops. There is an extra based recipe in the book Radical Brewing but it uses a small amount of hops. I am just curious if I get rid of the hops will it be ok or should I subsititute something else instead, perhaps more heather tips or heather honey?

Also, does anyone know of a mail-order souce for heather honey in the U.S>?

Thanks

mxyzptlk said:
I'd like to brew an extract base heather ale with no hops. There is an extra based recipe in the book Radical Brewing but it uses a small amount of hops. I am just curious if I get rid of the hops will it be ok or should I subsititute something else instead, perhaps more heather tips or heather honey?

Also, does anyone know of a mail-order souce for heather honey in the U.S>?

Thanks

Sounds good. I say try it! Just increase the amount of Heather instead of using hops. The honey will just ferment and make the beer stronger. But it should leave some honey character. Someone told me that biscut malt can add bitterness to a brew. I havn't used biscut in any of my recipes yet though. I SAY GO FOR IT!

Let me know how it turns out. My dad is alergic to hops. And Im looking for something to make him for the holidays or later in the year for his birthday. I had a posting on here for hop-less beer, and I only got a few suggestions. I wish that was one of them.

Back