Bines too tall for trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kincade

Reaction score
I'm in my second year of growing 3 different varieties of hops. Lost my entire harvest last year to spider mites, so I'm hoping for this year to be better.

My 3 rhizomes are planted 10' apart from each other in a flower bed next to the home. The upside down V trellis goes from one side of the rhizome to the gutter on the house, then back down to the other side of the rhizome like this:

/ rhizome \

This year 2 of the bines are already to the roof (+/- 20' tall) and I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point. Do I go up to the roof and trim the excess off the tip? I figured my roof would be tall enough, and right now the excess is laying in the gutter. Alternatively I can put a horizontal trellis in between the bines, but this will allow the different varieties of hops to intermingle.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

NOOOOO!!!! don't cut them!

I'm a neophyte at growing bines, but understand a little bio.

The growth site releases hormones, or chemicals, that govern the plants growth.
Let it just fall over, and hang.
The lower nodes will 'realize' that the 2nd or 3rd lowest node is at the top - they will "know" that the tip has maxed out, and they will branch out.

I do *NOT* know if cutting the tip off will retard the cones' develoment, but I don't recommend it.
just get them out of the gutter.

my 2nd year cuttings are only 3 ft tall, so "Let it RIDE!" you are doing great.

no cutting!!!

Can you strap something like a bamboo pole to the top of your trellis?
Or some twine elevated a few inches off the roof and over to the other side, keeping the bines apart so they don't intermingle.

Otherwise just let them be and they will do what they do.

Back