Taliban to Germany: Leave Afghanistan or lose Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't go in the debate forum, so I posted this in DRMM, so don't go all debatey on me.

http://features.csmonitor.com/globa...ermany-leave-afghanistan-or-lose-oktoberfest/

The Taliban have a new target: beer and bratwurst.

In perhaps their most bizarre threat to date, Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan have threatened to bomb the Oktoberfest festival in Munich, Germany, which attracts millions of visitors ever year, along with several landmark buildings and government officials.

The threats, while perhaps farfetched, follow a series of warnings from the Taliban and Al Qaeda and underscores a concerted effort by the insurgents to weaken Germany’s resolve for the fight in Afghanistan.

Germany has responded by banning all air flights over Munich for the rest of the 16-day festival, which ends Oct. 4.

There are a couple things I find wrong with this article.

1. Taliban....... TB traditionally operate in Afghanistan or Pakistan. Their goal is an islamic state, Regarless of what the threat was the Taliban won't conduct attacks outside of those coutries. The outside attacks would be carried out by AQ.

2. Germany..... The Germans aren't really taking the fight to the Taliban in Afghanistan. They run a couple of reconstruction teams and some police training centers. Not exactly offensive operations. The Germans have been a point of contention within the ISAF orginization due to their stringent Rules of Engagement, and information sharing restriction set upon them by the German government. Aside from Oktoberfest embodying everything they can't have (alcohol and pork) they don't have anything personally against the Germans except they are a western culture.

Not trying to argue just making a couple points

They have now threatened the beer drinkers' holy of holies.

I'm strapping a 6 pack to my chest and going out drinking to teach them a lesson.

Holy mother of all that is good, who would bomb Oktoberfest???

My avatar gently weeps.

Those bastards.

i usually don't have issue with weirdos who want to follow whatever religion they fancy. my issue arises when they start pushing it on me, and my patience is immediately gone, by default for any religion that outlaws alcohol.

Only one problem with that... Oktoberfest is NOW, and ends this coming weekend. Looks like the taliban screwed up the timing as well...

That's what I was going to mention. Luckily for us, Octoberfest isn't really in October. Whoever was going to do the bombing it's going to be showing up to this party very fashionably late.

I think this deserves something along the lines of a very cheep cartoon, with an arab looking dude arriving in Munich with bombs strapped to him, only to see the tents taken down and such. Then some witty line to go with it.

Only one problem with that... Oktoberfest is NOW, and ends this coming weekend. Looks like the taliban screwed up the timing as well...

I was referring to the "strap a six pack on my chest and go out drinking" reply.

Never too late for that!

Back