Beersmith Carbonaton Calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
In Beersmith 2, the amount of sugar for a desired volume of CO2 does not change (for me) when I change my actual volume into bottles (or actual volume into fermenter). It seems to only use the predicted volume.

I came out with more into the fermenter and into bottles than predicted. Is there any way to get Beersmith to use the actuals, or do I need use to a different, online calculator?

I quit using the carbonation calculator in beersmith when I recognized just what you're saying- it does not update based on your entry of the actual bottling volume.
I believe it expects the bottling volume to be entered after bottling is complete, and so the carbonation is only set to use the prediction. I, however, prefer to rack into the volume-marked bottling bucket and calculate the priming addition based on the real volume.

I use this calculator:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
And for "current temperature of beer" I enter the highest temperature the beer has been at since primary fermentation, as this is going to be the most accurate estimation of residual CO2 in the beer.

Wow! Just found this thread after having the same issue. Seems like this would be an incredibly easy software fix. Brad Smith, are you here? Care to comment?

The recipe is a prediction, based on the volume specified. You can always update the profile in the equipment to represent your actual volume. In fact, this is the way to create a very accurate equipment profile.

There is also a carbonation tool in BeerSmith. Tools > Carbonation. This will show you carbonation based on dextrose, maltose or forced pressure.

Interesting... I just tasted the first bottle of my 9.8 gallon batch of Nut Brown Ale. First time using Beersmith instead of the N. B. calculator and it's way over carbonated. To bad, it's drinkable but nothing I care to share with anybody

The recipe is a prediction, based on the volume specified. You can always update the profile in the equipment to represent your actual volume. In fact, this is the way to create a very accurate equipment profile.

There is also a carbonation tool in BeerSmith. Tools > Carbonation. This will show you carbonation based on dextrose, maltose or forced pressure.

While that is true, I think it would be much more useful for the carbonation calculator to work off of the actual volume of final wort and not the predicted volume.

Back