Carbon Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollegeCider

Reaction score
So, I have heard stories of people using carbon filters to make bad spirits taste better, and they tried it on myth busters and it worked for them. So I was wondering if it would have an effect on cider, so I decided to give it a try. My batch I tried it on was more of a cyser, 4 gallons of apple juice and 5 pounds honey, and was ~11% alcohol. I mixed in 3 cups splenda and then took out a cup pre filtration for taste test purposes. I then took my wash cloth(without detergent) and about a cup of activated carbon(which I washed to get any small particles off) and put them into my funnel and proceeded to filter a cup of the same batch. Seemingly the yeasty flavor went away and it brought out much more flavor. I was wondering if anyone might possibly know if there could be any bad effects of doing this? Was planning on constructing something like if not. Tastes good to me as green as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Filter looks good. But having the finished cider splashing into the receiving bucket looks like oxidation city. Attaching some sort of catch/tubing system to the bottom or being able to minimize the distance between filter and surface may help.

Why not just by the gallon Brittany water system age your batch then pour it in there just before drinking?

Back