Flaked rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
So, the other day I brewed this corona clone, which called for a couple lbs of flaked rice. I boiled 2 gallons (I'd like to do a full boil, but what can you do? my kettle's small.) Anyway, much of the result looked almost like applesauce. Is this because of the rice? I'd never used it before. Basically I diluted to 5 gallons, let it cool, then filtered about 3/4 of it through my funnel's filter, thus removing a few funnels-full of sludge. I feel like I must've robbed the beer of some flavor, but I didn't know what else to do. Has anyone else experienced this?

To clarify for the rest of us, I'm assuming this is the recipe you went with?

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=882

As for your sludge problem, can't help you without more details... this was a partial mash recipe, right? Don't have "gold membership" to that sight, so I can't access the full recipe. What was the procedure?

Hope it turns out as well as the comments posted about it... keep us posted, I'll probably try the recipe in a couple batches if it works out for you... :)

Back