homebrewing got me into hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i made a way too hopped (even though such a thing isnt really possible) IPA, and none of my friends, even those who are pretty knowledgeable about beer have been able to enjoy it, while i enjoy it about once a week even as im trying to save it for the summer. but im drinking a dog head fish 60 minute at the moment, and heh, it seems more sweet than anything, though i know in the past ive felt it as bitter and cascadey... homebrewing has made me crave real bitterness and fresh hops (in a good way) :drunk:

anyone else feel the same way?

I am in the same boat. Before I started homebrewing I didn't care for the taste of hops or that awesome bite of an IPA. Now I am currently fermenting a Pliny the Elder clone and can't get enough hops. Strange how that works

Yep. A couple weeks ago I got a Fat Tire and was disappointed that they didn't have anything with more hops. Yesterday after a Stone IPA, I declared for the first time "I like IPAs". I've also been eying up the Pliny clone.

For me it was my drive to continuously try more and more extreme beers. I remember thinking Dead Guy Ale was really hoppy a few years ago but when I had one last month, I couldn't help but notice the lack of hop bite. I blame Stone for ruining my palate.

Yep, me too. I liked hoppy beers to some extent before, but preferred APAs over IPAs. High IBU IPAs were a little too much for me. Now I can't get enough.

Yup, same here (don't let my sig fool you). I used to dislike hoppy, bitter beers in the worst way. It all changed the day I opened my first ounze of fresh hops, Fuggles, and took a bhig ol' whiff. The smell got me hooked right away.

my palate has adjusted to liking the hoppier side of things. maybe the spring season helped too but I just brewed up a killer of an IIPA that came in around 250IBUs I was nervous about going with such a high IBU but from what i found a lot of the pliney clones range from 200-300+ IBU's. I realize that's uncharted territory and some people think i'm a bit absent minded going for such a high IBU brew but I'm stoked. The aroma from the blow off tube is to die for. I wish i could use it as a cologne it's soo nice.

Back