Wine is thin....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novalou

Reaction score
Ok, my first attempt at making wine from grapes. I just sampled and it does not seem to have much body.

I used Old Vine Zinfandel grapes. The berries were small and very sweet. They were crushed and fermented on the skins for about 10 days. Fermentation temp peaked at about 73 deg F.

No water was added. Aside from barrel aging, is there anything else I could have done during masaration to extract more body from the skins and pulp?

Ok, my first attempt at making wine from grapes. I just sampled and it does not seem to have much body.

I used Old Vine Zinfandel grapes. The berries were small and very sweet. They were crushed and fermented on the skins for about 10 days. Fermentation temp peaked at about 73 deg F.

No water was added. Aside from barrel aging, is there anything else I could have done during masaration to extract more body from the skins and pulp?

As long as they were crushed very well, no I don't think there is more to do to get more body in the wine. If you still want some more body, you could try adding some raisins now and see if that helps.

Yooper said:
As long as they were crushed very well, no I don't think there is more to do to get more body in the wine. If you still want some more body, you could try adding some raisins now and see if that helps.

I don't plan on adjusting this batch. But for future batches, would it have helped to hit s higher temp during fermentation or use some sort of enzyme?

I'm no expert but maybe a different yeast and few degrees warmer fermentation would have added a few more flavours?

I guess everything else is down to how the grapes were grown. Even the best French vinyards have some bad wines if the growing conditions don't work out...

Resurrecting an old thread...
An old technique used in making burgundy is to drain off between 10 and 25 percent of the juice after the crush so that there is a larger ratio of skin to juice during fermentation.

You can use the juice for other things.

By thin and lack of body I assume you are describing the watery movement with little swish ring on the inside of the glass, i would give this wine about 8 months in the bottle, it may mature to the flavor and body you desire.

Latest posts

Back