American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't think that would work out very well. You can try upping your grain bill, to achieve a larger OG then top off you fermenter tod 5 gallons with fresh water. OR you could accept the ammount you end up with using you biab method and enjoy good beer either way.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

This was my first ever brew. Made a few mistakes.
Didnt aerate,
only put in one pack of hydrated yeast,
bottled on the 9th day.
OG 1.048. FG 1.020.
Fermented too hot, 68-75
Its been bottled a week, i had to release the pressure after day two of bottling because it was going too fast. Tastes really sweet/tart in the finish,like grapefruit. Not sure if letting it fully bottle condition will improve the taste. Im not too optomistic.

Anyways I rebrewed another batch yesterday and plan to fix all those mistakes. I aerated well and have it bubbling happily at 65F, ill bring it up to 68 i a week. I really hope this one gets to FG... I pitched most of the harvested yeast from round one.
My mash temp keeps hitting 154, im trying for 152 but havent found the correct method yet.

Im assuming the grapefruit taste is from the high ferm temp? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This was my first ever brew. Made a few mistakes.
Didnt aerate,
only put in one pack of hydrated yeast,
bottled on the 9th day.
OG 1.048. FG 1.020.
Fermented too hot, 68-75
Its been bottled a week, i had to release the pressure after day two of bottling because it was going too fast. Tastes really sweet/tart in the finish,like grapefruit. Not sure if letting it fully bottle condition will improve the taste. Im not too optomistic.

Anyways I rebrewed another batch yesterday and plan to fix all those mistakes. I aerated well and have it bubbling happily at 65F, ill bring it up to 68 i a week. I really hope this one gets to FG... I pitched most of the harvested yeast from round one.
My mash temp keeps hitting 154, im trying for 152 but havent found the correct method yet.

Im assuming the grapefruit taste is from the high ferm temp? Anyone know?

One pack of yeast is plenty for this beer.

Give it some more time before you bottle it. You don't need to aerate if you are using dry yeast and even at the those temps (mash and ferment) Notty or S05 should have finished dryer than 1.020.

Grapefruit is from cascade hops.

Yep

Ok its possible i only made two mistakes then :).
The grapefruit i dont mind. The sweet and tart mouthfeel make it tough to finish. I imagine thats from poor/unfinished fermentation or maybe hasnt had time to mellow out the full three weeks.

My other brew(irish stout) which has similar numbers is still in the carboy at two weeks on irish ale yeast. Hopefully it finishes for me. Ill give it another week.

I also made a 5.5 gallon HPA by low volume BIAB yesterday and the result was surprisingly good !

Mash 10.5 lb grains into 4 gallon water at 152 F for 75 minutes

Drain the grain and sparge it with 2 gallon water pre-boiled at 160F. At the end, I get 5.5 gallon of wort for boiling.

After finished the whole boiling, adding hop and cold crashing processes, 4.5 gallon of wort was left. I need adding additional water to top up my beer to 5.5 gallon, but I still can achieve 1.058 OG

I was surprised that I can extract so much sugary water with such low volume of mash water

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing a 10 gallon variation on this today - keeping it all cascade (Mine are 8.8% AA), but most of my IBU's from late hops and using grains I have on hand.

40.4 IBU
5.7 SRM

14lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
3lbs 8oz Vienna Malt
1lb 4oz Crystal 20
8oz Cara-Pils

.25oz Cascade @ FWH
1.5oz @ 30 min
1.75 @ 15 min
1.75 @ 5 min

Gonna split with Nottingham and US-05

Did a 2.5 gallon batch on Sunday. I did a full volume mash, but the temp was way too high at 160-162 F. To make up for my low OG post-boil (1.043), I dissolved a pound of table sugar in bringing my OG up to 1.052 in the fermenter. Additionally, I had a half ounze of Hallertau in the fridge and added that to the Cascade at beginning boil. Should be an off-style bitter, but I think its going to taste great. Practically dedicated half my fermenting room to Bee Cave recipes. Lol, thanks Edwort.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

1393271990647.jpg

I don't know how this is possible but I sat down to make my first 100% original beer recipe the other day and ended up with the exact same malt bill as you. I have 2lb of leftover Vienna and I had a target SRM so I added 1/2 lb of 10L to get where I needed to be. My hops are way different but I found it interesting that we literally have the same grain bill. All these posts give me confidence that it's a good one.

Won 3rd Place Bronze with this recipe at the War of The Worts in PA. Thanks Ed!!
My first competiton :ban:

Only changed Crystal 10 to Crystal 30, after a few iterations I wanted a little more color.

Ive brewed about 40 gallons of this so far and its become everyones favorite. I make 2 separate pale ales from each 10-12 gallon batch nowadays to try all the different hops. So far in preferred order: Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Bramling Cross. This weekend we are going to try Pacific Jade and Galaxy.

Multiple batch brewday method:
http://imgur.com/a/DOzAD

This was my first all grain. It's still quite cloudy. Not very clear like some of the other pictures but I had not used any fining agents and put in some pellet hops that really broke apart as my last addition. I've also been trying to force carb it a bit by rolling my keg around so anything that was setting up is likely just getting mixed around.

Great tasting beer though! Can't wait for it to be in the keg for another week.

Looking to try out this one this weekend. The answer may be hidden in here somewhere, but I really didn't wanna leaf through 200 pages of comments. I haven't made the leap to buying a keg system yet and I'm still on bottling. How should I go about bottling this one out? Primary at 10 days and then what? Bottle with priming and let sit for how long? In the fridge or keep it at 68?

I just gave this brew a shot with slight grain bill modification, and more attention to the water and fermentation.

10lbs 2-row
4lb 14oz german pilsner (using the last of a 25kg sack)
4lbs vienna
2lbs C-20 (most significant recipe change)
2oz acid malt (for pH)

I kept the same hop schedule, but did use more mass since the hops I have seems to be lower in strength than the label indicates.

Mashed at 158F for an hour, mashed out at 170F for 10 minutes, vorlaufed for 10 minutes, and pulled crystal clear wort to the kettle.

I built the water from distilled. Ion profile was ca=126, mg=18, na=25, so4=300, cl=55, hco3=66. I held back the sparge dose of the baking soda for the kettle. I didn't get a good hot break initially, but the moment i added the baking soda, i instantly had break form.

Boiled for 75 minutes but added first hops at 60. I ended up getting about 12.7G at 1.057 (over 90% efficiency). I pitched 4 packs of rehydrated US-05. Going to ferment at 62 +/-1.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Just floated the first keg of this... And I didn't make another one to replace it... poor planning on my part.
Just bit the bullet and purchased enough specialty grain and hops to make 4 more batches... should be good for a few months... lol

I'm loving this beer. My gravity sample was not that clear at all... Haha. I wish. Mine isn't even clear what so ever. It was my first all grain. I'll use some Irish Moss next time to see if there's a difference. Love this beer though. I've had it legged about two weeks now and it just gets better and better.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

Brewed this beer as my first AG and finally had a taste of it today. All I can saw is - wow!

Thank you so much for the recipe!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Started in on a keg of this last night I'm gonna check but I'm thinkin this beer is less than a month old tasted pretty good considering it's only been on Co2 for nine days--have a batch in a bucket that will need kegged soon and think enough grain for one more batch--good recipe!!

I just had a bottle with lunch. I made this in October, drank most by New Year's, it's been in the fridge for 4 weeks. Really great beer, tasty, lovely. One of those that makes you feel good about brewing.

I was planning on making this tomorrow. but I noticed both my hbs's only have extra light, light, amber, dark and wheat LME and DME.... is it going to be horrible if I sub out all pale LME instead of having the 1.5 lbs of Munich?

I personally would wait until you can get the Munich.

gotcha, I'll have to pass on the recipe then. Unless I special order it from a website there's no place in town that carries it. and I never have need to order online cuz my brewshops are so inclusive of EVERYTHING (but the Munich malt extract it seems)

I was planning on making this tomorrow. but I noticed both my hbs's only have extra light, light, amber, dark and wheat LME and DME.... is it going to be horrible if I sub out all pale LME instead of having the 1.5 lbs of Munich?

I would sub it out for the pale LME. You're going to end up with a different beer, but still good.

I would sub it out for the pale LME. You're going to end up with a different beer, but still good.

I'll give it a try... it's a pretty simple pale ale so it shouldn't hurt it too bad. another though I had was sub amber malt extract for the munich since it has a bit of munich in it.

Did my first AG with Ed's Recipe. Got a 1.048 adjusted for temp. Looks great. Can't wait to get this in the keg.
Thanks ED!

Kegged 04/07 after 10 days in primary. Got a FG of 1.010 after temp adj. My primary was a little on the warm side 75F since I was out of town and the water in the bowl was dry. Took a sample and was very excellent....can't wait till it's carbonated.

I have to say thanks Edwort. I love this recipe!

Personally, I like it even better with chilies added; I add roasted Anaheim, Serrano, and Jalapenos to secondary for 3-5 days for an awesome chili beer. I halve and de-seed the peppers before broiling them in the oven. I thought the hops might over power the chili flavor but it doesn't, it compliments it quite well. By removing the seeds it doesn't have that back of the throat burn but rather has a nice green chili aroma and taste.

I have brewed several batches so far and it never lasts long after the bottles are carbed. I will be brewing this again soon.

Love this recipe as so many others do.

Today is my second batch of it, with amarillo this time..

The first batch was wonderful after 10-12 days of cold storage

This will be my first time all-grain brewing.

A few quick questions:

1. Is the water temp 152 when it comes in contact with the grain? Or do I heat the water over/above this number so that after they combine they hold at 152 for the hour?

2. When you add the 5 quarts of water for vorlauf, do you stir/mix once you pour the water in?

3. similarly, I imagine I mix after adding the 3.25 gallons of 175 water before vorlaufing again?

1. You want the temp to hold at 152, so dough in higher.

2. Don't stir after vorlauf. You don't want upset the grain bed.

3. Stir the crap a out of it and let it sit before vorlauf. If you are batch sparging that is.

I just gave this brew a shot with slight grain bill modification, and more attention to the water and fermentation.

10lbs 2-row
4lb 14oz german pilsner (using the last of a 25kg sack)
4lbs vienna
2lbs C-20 (most significant recipe change)
2oz acid malt (for pH)

I kept the same hop schedule, but did use more mass since the hops I have seems to be lower in strength than the label indicates.

Mashed at 158F for an hour, mashed out at 170F for 10 minutes, vorlaufed for 10 minutes, and pulled crystal clear wort to the kettle.

I built the water from distilled. Ion profile was ca=126, mg=18, na=25, so4=300, cl=55, hco3=66. I held back the sparge dose of the baking soda for the kettle. I didn't get a good hot break initially, but the moment i added the baking soda, i instantly had break form.

Boiled for 75 minutes but added first hops at 60. I ended up getting about 12.7G at 1.057 (over 90% efficiency). I pitched 4 packs of rehydrated US-05. Going to ferment at 62 +/-1.

Finally kegged this batch. I normally mash low and get dry beers, so this time i figured i'd go at the high end of the range to see if it makes a difference. Well i'm here to say it definitely makes a difference. This batch finished at 1.020! Surprisingly it's not cloying, but it's obviously a thicker beer. Very good overall. Next time i'll mash 2 degrees cooler and see if it ends up more in the 1.018 range.

Used this for my first all grain batch and gave this a shot today. Made a few minor mistakes, I'm sure it will still turn into beer.

- 8.8 lbs of 2-row
- 2.2 lbs of vienna
- 0.5 lbs crystal I

Strike water at 166F, mashed in at 149, added some boiling water to get it up to 150... After half an hour it went back down to 148/149 so I added more hot water to bring it up to 150. Just couldn't hit 152 to save my life. Also overshot the strike water by 0.5 gallon BEFORE I decided to add extra to bring up the temp (note to self: use a calculator, not my brain...). Not sure the effect of this.

Pre-boil OG came in right around 1.048 - 1.05. Was hard to read but it was in that playing field. Not bad for my first attempt!

Ended up with about 6.6 gallons of water in the kettle pre-boil. Ended up with about 5 gallons in the fermentor.

Had to use Amarillo - told there is a cascade shortage. Boo.

Excited to give this guy a try!

IMG_20140408_163911.jpg

Brewed one batch of this recipe in mid Feb, opened a bottle last night!

This beer taste so good, and gave me a fancy imagination that I have turned into pro in homebrewing, haha...

I am a beginner of this hobby and so far only brewed 4 batches, this beer is the best definitely

Thanks Edwort

This recipe is one of my wife's and her friends favorites. I'm going to change up the hops next batch and see if I can get it more towards my liking.

Mythos13, I am just curious as to what the hops in the original was like? From what I can tell it looks like its really bitter!

I was thinking of reversing the hop schedule so that 1 oz goes in at the end of the boil, I'm not a real big bitter beer fan

Yetah-brewha, I would say that the bitterness I got wasn't what I would want. It drinks like a white ale to me and probably why my wife likes it. I would probably do the 1oz at the end if you want a bit more bitterness.

Also, just noticed that my hops weren't 6.6%....only 5.4%

Latest posts

Back