Traveling Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthokie98

Reaction score
My second post here in homebrewtalk land. I just bottled and tasted my first brew (Brown Ale) as well as EdWort's Apfelwein (Thanks EdWort!). I bought my bro a kit for his birthday and he hasn't got around to brewing his first batch. He is coming into town for xmas this weekend and was wondering if we could brew a batch so he could take back home with him. He would be traveling from DC to Charotte, NC. Anyway, my question is if we were to do everything except pitch the yeast would it still be OK to pitch the yeast when he gets back to Charlotte? assuming everything is sanitized and the carboy is fitted with an airlock does it matter if the yeast isn't pitched for a couple days? It should be plenty aerated after a 5 hr car ride back to NC. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Homebrew talk is awesome. My first brew would have been a disaster if I hadn't found this place and spent a week or 2 reading before my first batch. Thanks to everyone here who takes the time to help out us noobies. :mug:

Mike

Bottled - Brown Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein
Primary - Empty
Secondary1 - Empty
Secondary2 - Empty
Up Next - EdWort's Apfelwein, Weisenbier

It should be ok to do this in this case. The temperatures are cool enough that if he leaves it in the trunk (that's boot to you Orfy :p) that it should be cool enough. You just want to keep it away from the heater. As for when to pitch, I'd say wait about a day with the carboy sitting in a high 60's area so it can come up to temp and stabilize.

I would recommend a partial boil and he can add the water when he gets home. Easier to handle and safer riding in the car.

I did that, except went from north of Baltimore to south of Baltimore.....about an hour, and it was fine. Got lots of aeration on the ride and just pitched the yeast when I got home

Awesome...Thanks for the quick replies. I think we'll go with a partial boil and he can just top it off when he gets home. Depending on the day we have for boiling it might sit in the carboy for a couple days before he goes back to NC. Don't think this should be a problem as long as he keeps the airlock on to prevent nasties from getting in...

Thanks again.

Mike

chione said:
once he gets it home and it ferments how is going to bottle it?

Chione...I'm assuming he would use the 3/4 cup of priming sugar that came with the extract kit. Do you think there would be an issue with bottling? Not sure why it would be any different.

Mike

Back