Ginger and Cyser Mead Update.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It has been a LONG time since I have been on and updated. Below are the original recipes.

The cyser cleared after only a month. Interestingly the ginger wine, the one I was MOST worried about (looked terrible, took for ever, did not clear) tastes amazing.

Both are wonderful, however super "hot" they need 6 more months to smooth out.

Lessons learned:

-This was not only my first homebrew...but also my first mead. I would NEVER do another 1 Gallon batch again...now that I am confident. You loose SO much every time you rack....and with a mead you need to rack often.

-Now that I am doing a kit wine, I will never use an airlock again (except for bulk ageing. They never fit right, and im always fussing with it. I MUCH prefer a blow off tube going into another 1 gallon jug of sanitizer. (No risk, easy to clean, worry free..)

-Patience! Wow, I just really had to forget about it. There were times I thought that cloudy ginger wine was a pure loss...now its the best out of all three!

Anyways, I hope this helps someone!

Joel.

1) Joel's Cyser of Joy.

OG:1.125

** 2.8 Liters Apple juice-Super nice organic from our wine growing region.
**1.6 LBS//0.74 KG Wild Flower Honey-Local, and smelled amazing.
**1 Tsp Nutrient-(with DAP + B1..)
**0.5 Cups Dextrose.
**1/2 tsp Pectic enzyme (to help with the super unclear Apple Juice)
**10 Raisins chopped in half.
**Lalvin 1118 Yeast.

NOTE: After reading all the "heated" debates on heating honey.....I said **** it. I could not bring myself to do it after smelling how wonderful it was. I believe in the natural antibiotics of honey...as well as the posting regarding many meaderies that dont boil. Also Lalvin 1118 is tough..and should out compete any other bacterial crap..
----------------------

2) Who you callin a Ginger?-Ginger Mead.

OG=1.115

**1.6 KG wild flower honey
**60 Grams peeled and grated ginger root -(boiled for 5 mins) and placed right in the primary...water and all.
**10 Chopped raisins
**1 tsp Yeast energizer-(DAP, B1...)
**1.5 cups Dextrose.
**Lalvin 1118 Yeasty

NOTE: Covered these with a sanitized piece of tin foil, as per the debates of not fitting an airlock for 24-48 hours.
*Im most worried/unsure about the ginger...because I took a ginger recipe from one of the books and scaled down to a 1 gallon batch. I was really worried about the ginger being too powerful. who knows!?

Back