First time brewing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kacey1973

Reaction score
Just got my own brewing kit for Christmas. Brewed a rye pale ale kit from brewers best. Just now have opened two bottles....bottles sat for two weeks at 69 degrees F, both bottles foamed slowly, but continuosly after being opened. What have i done wrong? How do I fix /prevent this from happening in the other 49 bottles? Thanks for any help.

Try chilling them overnight. CO2 dissolves better when cold.

This. Actually it's best to chill your beer in the refrigerator for at least a week before drinking...it helps them clear and helps them absorb that CO2! :rockin:

I would go longer at room temp before putting them in the fridge. I have learned that 4 weeks in bottles before refrigerating is about the amount time it takes a beer to carbonate fully. A lot of people say 3 weeks, but I have had best luck around 4. Then I TRY to wait a few days before cracking one open. I only put my bottles in the fridge a 6 pack or so at a time after the 4 week mark to let some keep conditioning. I have had a lot of beers overflow and seem over carbonated only because they weren't fully carbonated. The co2 produced by the yeast eating the sugar goes up into the headspace of the bottle and needs time to absorb into the beer. Sure, you can get carbonation after a couple of weeks sometimes, but definitely not every time. Keeping them in the fridge a week before opening them also helps tremendously, but its hard.

Back