Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used it in pales and many porters. Never used bairds. If anyone is getting some bairs and wants to do a 10lb swap id love to try the other brand, cidah?

If someone wants a 1/3 split on the Pale Chocolate, feel free to take it. I don't need 36lbs of it and I have a sneaking suspicion my friends aren't going to want to pay me for the portion I bought for them.

I can take a 1/3 of the split or less, whatever works for you.

Cidah, I know what you mean! I'm so sick of paying ridiculous prices for stuff at my hbs. 2row is like $60 a sack.... I'm just getting to the point that I'm comfortable in my process and I'm turning out great beers. It has me wanting to brew once a week so I better stock up! As long as I'm heading out that way any recommendations for beer bars that I should check out?

OK, here's what I currently have:
2ROW - lot's as I got a sack from the last group buy and bought 50# Bairds locally from a good lhbs deal.
CM-SPIL (1/2 sack) - haven't brewed with this yet, soon.
TF-MOPA (sack) - been using this, awesome
BD-MUNH - (1/3) - been using this in lesser quantities

In this order:
BD-VIEN (sack) - really looking forward to this
GW-C60 (1/3) - I keep having to buy this by the #
GW-C15 (1/3)
GW-C40 (1/3) - I've had to buy this a few times too
GP-FLWHT (1/3)
BZ-CRPL (1/3) - have to buy #'s of this a couple times already
BZ-ARO (1/4)

Looking at what else I have (in # quantities, besides c40/c60): c120, Muntons Chocolate, Dingeman Biscuit, Briess Cara Pils, Oat Malt, Flaked Maize, Flaked Rice.

So, what ELSE should I be looking at? :)

Wow, this think took off today.

+1 on the flaked barley. Gives my stouts some really nice head. I'm waiting to keg a wee heavy I used some on as well, can't wait to see how that turned out.

OK, here's what I currently have:
2ROW - lot's as I got a sack from the last group buy and bought 50# Bairds locally from a good lhbs deal.
CM-SPIL (1/2 sack) - haven't brewed with this yet, soon.
TF-MOPA (sack) - been using this, awesome
BD-MUNH - (1/3) - been using this in lesser quantities

In this order:
BD-VIEN (sack) - really looking forward to this
GW-C60 (1/3) - I keep having to buy this by the #
GW-C15 (1/3)
GW-C40 (1/3) - I've had to buy this a few times too
GP-FLWHT (1/3)
BZ-CRPL (1/3) - have to buy #'s of this a couple times already
BZ-ARO (1/4)

Looking at what else I have (in # quantities, besides c40/c60): c120, Muntons Chocolate, Dingeman Biscuit, Briess Cara Pils, Oat Malt, Flaked Maize, Flaked Rice.

So, what ELSE should I be looking at? :)

Depends on what you brew but, chocolate, pale chocolate, black patent, C120, C80 flaked oats + what the other guys said (*flaked barley) What brews do you like? My problem is that I pretty much like them all, and plan to brew them all at least once, and go in spurts for what I want.

It looks like you need some pale chocolate. ;)

Seriously though, it is a superb grain if your looking to brew porters, stout, browns, mild, and even amber ales. Around 3-4% in a brown ale or porter really adds a wonderful toasty-chocolate complexity that you don't get with the regular stuff. Also, considering Muntons chocolate is closer to 400L, pale chocolate is great for those beers where you are looking for a chocolate character without the roast bite.

Edit: Is anyone else somewhat unhappy with your GW crystal malts? I think the flavor is fine for most American styles, although it's so much blander compared to the TF or Simpsons crystal. I swear they make the stuff from 6-row too.

jhenderson - wouldn't mind passing you some bd mopa; but I am out! :)

Copyright- one other you should DEFINITELY look into is CM-RYEM - rye malt. There is an IPA (Denny Conn's wry smile IPA) that is out of this world. Rye is a really nice addition for your tool kit. I might even go in for a 1/3 portion of that fi you put up the split, but I have to check how much I have left.

Cidah,

Sign me up for another bag of BD-MOPA if you could. Its for a co-worker but just throw it into my list.

Jeff B

Cidah,

Sign me up for another bag of BD-MOPA if you could. Its for a co-worker but just throw it into my list.

Jeff B

will do - awesome! Now I am trying ot find some reasons to buy a couple more bags myself! I think the shipping price will be an all time low. Here I go spending money to save it! I am also reaching out to a few buddies and trying to push them to get a bag and switch from extract.

By the way, nice meeting you the other night. Another engineer brewer to the mix!! haha

Edit: Is anyone else somewhat unhappy with your GW crystal malts? I think the flavor is fine for most American styles, although it's so much blander compared to the TF or Simpsons crystal. I swear they make the stuff from 6-row too.

Really? I have been really happy with mine, especially the C60, C40 and C120 in particular. The C80 I used was mixed with too much other stuff to tell. But the SN Pale I was great as was the amarillo IPA and arrogant bastard (showcase the malts above). Is it all the stuff you have? or perhaps an old or poorly stored bag (before or after shipment)?

then again I haven't tried the other brand

Split left (available) on Pale chocolate is 1/3

twoguns - I will put a rye split down for you, I still am not sure what I have left but might jump on when I can check tonight.

I'd take some rye if people are interested

OK, I'm game. Cidah, wanna open a split for the CM-RYEM. I will do 1/3. TwoGunz, are you ok with 1/3 also?

Anyone wanna split the last 1/3 with me?

OK, I will split it ( the last 1/3 of pale chocolate) with you.

Wow, I'm going to have to bring a LOT of containers.

Flaked vs roasted barley are polar opposites. Flaked is unmalted and unkilned and is used like wheat in a lot of ways. Roasted barley is very dark and is all about deep chocolatey bitterness.

Flaked vs roasted barley are polar opposites. Flaked is unmalted and unkilned and is used like wheat in a lot of ways. Roasted barley is very dark and is all about deep chocolatey bitterness.

I could be wrong here but jhenderson - do you really mean what is the difference between regular malted barley (2-ROW) and flaked barley?

If yes it is sort of like the differences between malted wheat vs. flaked wheat, but for barley. Off the cuff I believe the key differences are supposed to be:
1. improved head retention
2. improved mouthfeel
3. improved body

using flaked wheat in that sam adams summer clone is clear proof of the differnce the flaked wheat can make, or biermunchers witbier recipe

and like twogunz said, you sort of use flaked barley in stouts or other virtually any other ales (pale, etc) to get those three improvements that you would otherwise have to use flaked wheat/flaked oats for; but you wouldn't have to use a wheat product...

non scientific stuff:
Flaked Oats - best mouthfeel improver - can hurt head retention (if too much is added)
Flaked Barley - great at head retention, but can be hazy, used mostly in darker beers because of the haze factor
Flaked wheat - great at head retention, but can be hazy as well unless used in smaller amounts.

All of them should improve body somewhat, but I really like using carapils (with or without flaked products to bolster the effect) for that as long as having a little more sweet in the brew isn't detrimental. If used correctly, the sweetness of carapils should be barely, if at all perceptible . That is why recipes usually require a lower percentage of the grain bill for carapils (too keep the dextrines in check).

me personally, I don't care about haze. I would never filter my brews to get them clear either. I brew because I want the raw product, which IMO is far superior to commercial filtered/pasteurized brews. Better mouthfeel and flavors come from not filtering (same with fresh pressed cider) and past. All that said I never have issues with clearing when it is supposed to (I haven't ever used fining agents and don't see the need in 99% of circumstances).

More so i was looking at color imparted to the brew but i read it wrong earlier , i thought it said flaked roasted barley. I was like wow they make that. Sorry for confusing stupid question.

One last thing, there is a reason why oatmeal stouts are so popular. Flaked Barley is a good item to use, but flaked oats give a fantastic mouth feel. I am so happy I have my second keg of oatmeal stout on tap right now. I really like the BYO Guinness clone on tap too - VERY close to Guinness, quaffable, delicious. The oatmeal is a totally different animal when compared to it (that's the oats!). Almost thick and silky mouthfeel. Lingers in your mouth with an awesome roasty character.

... man now I am thirsty for some stout...

By the way, back on topic:
55 bags!

It would be great if we could push through to 60bags or beyond by the end of the weekend and close the order. Keep the bags coming guys!!!

right now I am guessing shipping per bag will be about ($7.58) when we hit 60 bags; it was just about $8 last time per bag with the hike in gas prices. Shipping per bags looks something like this if my base estimate is correct (I try to shoot a little high... so hopefully this is on the high side):

60 bags = $7.58 each
70 bags = $6.50 each
80 bags = $5.68 each

80 bags of course would be the cut off. That would probably only happen if a brew club caught wind of this buy based on our time constraints.

By the way, back on topic:
55 bags!

80 bags of course would be the cut off. That would probably only happen if a brew club caught wind of this buy based on our time constraints.

Chanting: Eighty, Eighty, Eighttty, Eighttttyyyyyyy.
I mentioned this to someone who works at the food co-op in town, who was going to mention it to others he knows that do all grain.

For the next one, I think you should plan on four pallets being delivered to your garage. :mug:

I am also considering getting some stuff for crap beers, namely flaked rice and flaked corn. Anyone interested in splits on these?

If someone wants a 1/3 split on the Pale Chocolate, feel free to take it. I don't need 36lbs of it and I have a sneaking suspicion my friends aren't going to want to pay me for the portion I bought for them.

I can take a 1/3 of the split or less, whatever works for you.

Split left (available) on Pale chocolate is 1/3

So who's getting that last split? Jhenderson/copyright or me? I'd like a 1/3 of pale chocolate but could probably split it with someone else (1/6 each).

Or should we start a new split?

Or if the orininal 2 peeps want we could do a equal 1/5 each. Id be in for 1/4 of flaked rice and corn.

My fiance is gonna have my nuts by the end of this ; )

Chanting: Eighty, Eighty, Eighttty, Eighttttyyyyyyy.
I mentioned this to someone who works at the food co-op in town, who was going to mention it to others he knows that do all grain.

For the next one, I think you should plan on four pallets being delivered to your garage. :mug:

I am also considering getting some stuff for crap beers, namely flaked rice and flaked corn. Anyone interested in splits on these?

I would consider grabbing some of those for sport. I would probably be interested in doing 1/4 splits on those because, truthfully, I will brew those at least once, but probably only in the summer and for kicks. Wouldn't mind cloning PBR!!

5. TF-PCHO Pale Choc 1/3 (bierhaus15 x 2 , rustbucket) was the split not sure what you guys are concocting of the Pchocolate. Almost sounds like there may be enough interest for two bags at 1/3 each?

Bascially bierhaus wanted the pcho so he spoke for 2 1/3 shares. He was willing to give up a 1/3 share to interested parties.

80, 80, 80 !!

REQUESTED SPLITS:

1. CM-WHET - 1/3 (Copyright1997, JeffB418) - needs 1
2. FB-CHOC - 1/3 (rustbucket, drocu) - needs 1 *would consider 1/4*
3. TF-AMBR - 1/3 (Mparsons327, CBK) - needs 1 *would consider 1/4*
4. TF-FLBR - 1/3 (Rustbucket) - needs 2 *would consider 1/4*
5. GW-C60 - 1/3 (Smashing, drocu) - needs 1 *would consider 1/4*
6. CM-RYEM - 1/3 (twogunz) - needs 2
7. GP‐FLCRN 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1
8. GP‐RICE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1

Bierhaus only wanted a 1/3. I figured id jump on it and split half of mg 1/3 cuz i wont need that much. Copy wanted in on my 1/3 with me. I posed to see if people would want to do it as a 1/5 split. Its and even 10 or 11 pounds each then. Up to them.

Back