First year Centennials harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Probably too early by at least a week or so, but I decided to harvest my two first year Centennial plants. Once they are dried out, I'm planning on using them in a SMaSH recipe that will also be my all-grain attempt. Definitely expecting a "greenness" from them, but I was surprised at how good they smell right now (have them between two furnace filters and taped to a fan to dry them out - the room smells phenomenal).

Here are some pics of the harvest:

The vines after I cut them down:
hopsharvest8811040.jpg

Close-up of some of the cones still on the vines:
hopsharvest8811039.jpg

Then a couple pics of the picked cones:
hopsharvest8811045.jpg

hopsharvest8811046.jpg

did you have fun harvesting? ill be doing mine soon enough cant wait. grats on your first successful harvest and grow sesson.

I think they look good but I"m prob still considered a noob. I was planning on centennial myself next year. How was it? Anything I should keep in mind?

That is so cool! Did you split open a cone to see if the lupulin aroma dominated the veggie smell before harvesting, or did you just go by feel?

Be interested in how your SMaSH turns out! I'm sitting on what looks like a phenomenal first year crop of Centennial, Chinook and Cascade cones and just waiting for the first ones to ripen. Gotta get some O2 barrier bags soon!

Cheers!

Thanks guys...yeah I pulled a few cones off the vines throughout the week last week and they smelled decent enough to me - first years, so not expecting the best quality from them anyway. I was surprised at much the smell multiplied as I was trimming the stems and preparing them to dry. Really started to overwhelm the room I was in.

I also had a couple Mt Hood plants, but for some reason those were just totally destroyed early on by aphids and other pests. They are just now starting to rebound, but I doubt I'll get a harvest out of them - no cones or burrs whatsoever - kind of a bummer. But I am happy with what I got from these two Centennials. I built a 12 foot trellace and will definitely have to find a way to add height as they overgrew the top and started to loop over and had about another 2-3 feet of growth just hanging from the top of the trellace. I read it everywhere when building my trellace, but you truly can't build them tall enough for these suckers.

Gonna give the Mt Hoods one more year to produce and maybe add some Cascades or Chinooks to the garden next year as well.

Have fun harvesting you guys!! And post your pics!!

Back