Which Carboy do I use for Lavin EC-1118?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staffVAJoe

Reaction score
I am off to Target and will be brewing my Apfelwein once I return (after mowing the grass and having a few pints). I have a 6.5gl and a 5gl glass carboy avalible for this. Since I have an Oatmeal Stout on deck I would like to use my 5gl carboy.

The GREAT EDWART says: "There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles "

But... I will be using LALVIN EC-1118 Wine Yeast (it's whats in the fridge).

Question: am I still good using the 5gl?

Thanks guys!

I don't think applejuice has enough protein, etc. to support much foam during fermentation. I don't remember mine foaming. make your batch just a bit shy of 5 gallons if you decide to use the 5 gal. any foam at all will be greatly magnified if you have the level up to the neck of the carboy.

Well, first off, that's EdWort, not The GREAT EDWART!
Secondly, Apfelwein generally doesn't have much in the way of krausen. With some ale yeasts (and even with Montrachet) there can be a bit of expansion. For instance, if you fill a 5 gallon carboy up to the shoulder, it'll likely rise up almost all the way up the neck. I learned that one the hard way. :drunk:

ATTN: MODERATORS

I did not find the ingrediants I needed so I have posted a new thread... ...

Feel free to kill this one.

Latest posts

Back