Kudos to Austin Homebrew - best IPA I have ever had!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I am *very* happy to report that the IPA I brewed from Austin Homebrew's American IPA I mini-mash kit is the best beer I have brewed to date, beating any commercial example of the style that I have had (and I have had many). :mug::rockin::tank:

I did modify their ingredient kit by first wort hopping and adding an additional 1 oz of loose Cascade pellet hops for dry hopping for 2 weeks. I won't post the complete recipe, because Forrest deserves that you throw some business his way for this divine kit. I cannot recommend it any more highly.

The kit I ordered:

1 x AHS American IPA (I)
- Kit Option: Mini-Mash
- Yeast Option: Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast
- BrewVint Yeast Fuel: No Thanks
- Ice Pack: None
- Priming Sugar: Remove Priming Sugar, I keg. [I do bottle, but buy priming sugar by the pound]
- 1% Alcohol Boost: No Thanks
- Gold Beer Bottle Caps: No Thanks [I use O2-absorbing caps]

My modifications are as follows:

0.90 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.2 IBU
0.70 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.80 %] (60 min) Hops 36.4 IBU
0.80 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.30 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 5.25 qt of water at 160.2 F 151.0 F

I don't know if it's the First Wort Hopping, the dry hopping, or simply an excellent base recipe, but this beer manages to be a hop bomb yet drinks incredibly smoothly, with not a hint of harshness or astringency. If there was such a thing as grapefruit-flavored cotton candy, this beer's aroma would match it perfectly, yet the malt backbone isn't a single bit cloying. Simply a wonderful beer.

I don't know if it's the First Wort Hopping, the dry hopping, or simply an excellent base recipe...

Hey, don't forget, it is the brewer that makes the beer!

(But starting with a great base recipe doesn't hurt.)

LOL - I have to say this so don't take it personally.

I love reviews of recipes that say.

THIS is the best recipe ever, but I switched out this malt and added more hops and used a different yeast.

I rarely try AHS recipes but go with their clones as a starting point.

As Beerrific said - it's the brewer that is the key ingredient. Well - I guess he didn't really say THAT but . . .

Back