Any Point in Fly Sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I was rifling through my equipment chest last night and found all the parts to a fly sparging setup (I've inherited most of my equipment, and I have no idea what some of it is when I get it). I've always batch sparged---from what I can tell by reading, the mean advantage to fly sparging is higher extraction of sugars and thus higher efficiency. The drawbacks include higher probability of channeling, as well as adding an hour to your brew session.

Is it worth trying out?

I would, just to do it, as long as it meant you didn't have to go out of your way to do it. A lot of homebrewers like to do it even if it isn't for the few extra points of efficiency. I started AG fly sparging and switched to batch sparging like many for the same reasons, but it's worth the effort at least once if not just for the experience and know-how. :mug:

Though it takes longer, I find it to be less hands-on than batch sparging. Once I get the inflow and outflow all set and vorlauf, its pretty much self-running, and I can do other stuff.

I also think (and I haven't done enough batches both ways to prove this yet) that on bigger grain bills (15+ lbs for 5 gallons), I can get higher efficiency using the same amount of sparge water if I fly rather than sparge. I'm going to test this out on my next couple big beers.

I do both and don't see much difference. Fly sparging doesn't take me more than ten minutes longer but the stupid thing stops spinning once the lauter water level gets low. Takes a lot of manual 'starting' at that point - PITA!

Can you just use a spigoted bottling bucket for the hot liquor tun? Or is 170f too high for the plastic? If it means getting yet another cooler and faucet, then forget it.

If you've got the equipment, give it a try and see for yourself which one you like better. This is really a religious argument. Doing and understand both will only make you a better brewer. ;)

I don't get it. I fly sparge and it takes me about 40 minutes start to finish, is that much longer than batch?

I get pretty high efficiency btw...mid 80's easy.

I will throw out one advantage (although not too big a deal) is that I can still do fairly high gravity brews in a 5 gallon round cooler as I don't need the extra headspace.

I gave up fly sparging WAY back. It just isn't worth my time. It still takes longer than batch sparging in my case, even if I do 2 batch sparges (which I usually do). It isn't worth constantly babysitting and it isn't worth the extra buck and a half to throw another pound of grain into the recipe to make up the efficiency. I consistently get 80-85% by batch sparging, which is PLENTY good for my purposes.

Thanks, Dude...'preciate the input from everyone. I'm not gonna do it for curiosity's sake, that's for sure. I was just wondering if there was some kind of magical wonderful secret benefit that I wasn't aware of.

Hey, a little off topic, but...can you stir your batch sparge too much? I stir mine alot; I leave it in there for like 5 or 10 minutes, stirring intermittently in order to rinse as much sugar off as possible, then run it off. I know I don't want the mash to continue, so I usually do a mash-out step prior to sparging by bringing the mash temp up to 167. Is 10-minute batch sparging a bad idea?

No, not really Evan. In fact there may be a drier finish as even if you sparge at 170 you rarely can get the collected wort to over 150 (in my case it has been such) so your mashout temp is hit later....if you really want to call it that. I have had good results so no need to change....

fwiw though, if I had to do it again I'd certainly give batch a whirl cause I do covet my time and it does seem easier. But I had already purchased the 5 gallon cooler so I just went that route.

zoebisch01 said:
I don't get it. I fly sparge and it takes me about 40 minutes start to finish, is that much longer than batch?

I get pretty high efficiency btw...mid 80's easy.

I will throw out one advantage (although not too big a deal) is that I can still do fairly high gravity brews in a 5 gallon round cooler as I don't need the extra headspace.
I never got that kind of efficiency with fly sparging for 40 mins. And batch sparging takes me only about 20 mins. That's initial drain + 2 batch sparges. So, not a huge time saver, but it the difference in a 3.5 hr as opposed to 4 hr brew day for me.

zoebisch01 said:
In fact there may be a drier finish as even if you sparge at 170 you rarely can get the collected wort to over 150 (in my case it has been such) so your mashout temp is hit later....if you really want to call it that.
When I mash out, I raise the entire mash to 170' before the first runnings. Sparge water is 175', so the mash stays ~ 170'. Then I start heating the kettle about 1/2 way through the first runnings, and they're usually boiling by the time I start the 2nd drain. I'd say conversion is pretty much done. ;)

Bike N Brew said:
Though it takes longer, I find it to be less hands-on than batch sparging. Once I get the inflow and outflow all set and vorlauf, its pretty much self-running, and I can do other stuff.
Bingo!
I've always fly sparged and it's part of the brew day that I love. I only have to vourlof once, set the sparge arm in place, crack open the valve on the tun and I'm done. While the sparge is progressing I can do other brew day chores like measure hops, clean/ sanitize equipment, and look at HBT while drinking a home brew! :D

RichBrewer said:
Bingo!
I've always fly sparged and it's part of the brew day that I love. I only have to vourlof once, set the sparge arm in place, crack open the valve on the tun and I'm done. While the sparge is progressing I can do other brew day chores like measure hops, clean/ sanitize equipment, and look at HBT while drinking a home brew! :D

Bingo x2. I watched olllllllo batch sparge and it seemed like a lot of jostling around. Granted he was new to the process though. I set the sparge arm and get to doing other things; glance at it every once in a while to make sure it's not going too fast/slow.

Back