Conan Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so I brewed a simple 2-row/oats wort with 8oz white sugar and 8 oz lactose. OG 1.068. Aerated 60 seconds pure O2 and, lazily, pitched a vial of Conan from The Yeast Bay without a starter 18 hours ago. I pitched at 68 degrees and its sitting at 68 degrees currently.

When to check progress and no visible fermentation. No big deal, I thought, I didn't make a starter and it was a fairly high starting gravity. So I went to pick up my Carboy to move it into my fermentation fridge and as soon as I bumped it all hell went loose! The damn airlock blew out the solution and it audible released gas for 5 full seconds and foamed up and blew out the stopper!!!!

Now I have brewed with some Hefeweizen strains that went crazy but there as no activity in the wort. Looked like it did last night. Then, BOOM!!!

What just happened? Clearly CO2 was being produced. Quite a bit,but it wasn't releasing. Anyone ever experience this phenomena?

Only time I've seen something like that was in a pressurized container. If there was an airlock then it shouldn't have been the case.

I am going to take a video and get a link up. This is the weirdest thing. There is no krausen, no CO2 bubbles visible in solution. Nothing.

But with any agitation on the Carboy, it just releases violently.

I did use fermcaps, but this never happened before.

It's not like I am worried about my beer...I'm really not. I am just curious as to the process at work here.

I've had that with lagers and pilsners but I just assumed it was the cold fermentation. I was using a blowoff tube so it wasn't a clogged airlock. Any weird weather? Low pressure system? Grasping at straws here... Not sure what would keep gas in suspension then allow it to release so quickly

Re read some of "yeast" and White states that movement will release c02 in suspension and temp changes can have the same effect.

I think that must be it. There was not enough pressure to off gas on its own without some agitation. When I went to take a video, "normal" fermentation started with krausen And co2 bubbles in the solution. I dunno. Weird. Either way, this Conan is going nuts. Thanks for the reads abd replys.

Latest posts

Back