ARGH! Didn't hit my OG....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoiv

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a Tripple recipe that I've been wanting to make and even with 3#'s of candy sugar I missed my og by 13 points. On top of that, I set up my herms system (which I never use) and my efficiency still sucked. It took forever to heat the mash from one step to the next. The mash probably took a good 2 hours with all of the added time to move up temps and I still got a crappy efficiency.

24#'s of Pilsner malt should have given me a great big wad of sugary wort, but noooo. Not today it didn't. I usually average 85-92% efficiency and this batch came in at 74%. Not bad mind you, but the recipe was set for 85%, so I missed what I was aiming for by a mile.

Thinking back on it, the following items could have been an issue. The crush was not as fine as I usually get and I spent a lot more time fiddling with the mill than I should have. Two, I forgot to add the 5.2 stabilizer until I had already finished the first step. I usually add it to the water before dough in. I tested the pH and came up way high at 5.7 after adding the 5.2 in. I probably should have used more of it as well with such a large grain bill (27# of grain). The step mash was a major pain. If I do this one again, I'll change my recipe settings to 75% and I do a single infusion mash with direct fired mash out. I'm going back to what I know works.

All in all, I ended up with a OG of 1.076 (I wanted 1.089), which fits within the style guidelines, so it will turn out ok. Just a little frustrated that my 7 hour brew day didn't work out like I wanted.

I know how you feel. :(

I did my first AG. I forgot to do several rudimentary things. It pissed me off. When I did my PM's I used a check sheet. Typed up the steps, 1, 2, 3 etc. No oops I forgots.

As for me. No more BBQ'ng with brew'in. At least not until I can do it in my sleep. I was smoking ribs as I did my 1st AG. Over confidence... got me.

My good brown ale went to a mild ale. I'm hoping its still drinkable. It'll be drinkable but will it be watered down swill? Its a gonna be highly hopped mild. If there is such a thing.

BBNT - Better Brewing Next Time

:mug:

I'm actually brewing a tripel tonight as well. I'm shooting for 1.081, we'll see. I think I used too much water, probably gonna end up with 6 gals instead of 5.5. I also splashed a bit of candi sugar water when I was pouring it in.

I'll be measuring my og in about 30 or 40 minutes... waiting for it to cool so I can transfer it to the fermenter.

Is this pre-boil?

In general terms you can evaluate your extraction at pre-boil an correct it w/ extract additions.

Y = (76 * 6)/ Xlbs grist = 28 Ok, 29 good, 30 excellent

14 lbs = excellent
15 lbs = excellent
15.5lbs = good
16 lbs = OK

John Palmers book says: ((gravity*1000)*(gal collected))/ LBS GRIST = Y

How much was the grist??

Latest posts

Back