Autumn Seasonal Beer Dreamlands Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire
Yeast Starter
Not used
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
<32
Color
Orange-Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at approx 67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Mild but quite detectable pumpkin flavor and medium spice notes and aroma.
Dreamlands Spiced Pumpkin Ale
by Devil's Reef Brewing Company, Woodinville WA

This began as a LHBS recipe. It has been modified enough that I think it is worth sharing on its own merits. This was only our fourth brew, but it came out really good. We will make this again, though next time we will try a couple of changes that I note at the end of the recipe.

The spice notes are not subtle in this recipe... I would not call them strong, but I would say that people who don't like spiced seasonal ales in general are not going to come around after tasting this one. Still, it is quaffable enough to have with a meal, so don't fear that this is a dessert or gimmicky brew.

Thanks to Mountain Home Brew in Kirkland, WA for the "Ichabod’s Nightmare Pumpkin Ale" recipe that we started with. Also thanks to everyone in the Pumking Clone thread. This beer is not intended to be a Pumking clone, but there were still a lot of great ideas in there.

MALT
3.3 lbs light LME, 3 lbs gold DME

STEEPING GRAINS
1 lb Crystal 40L, 8 oz Biscuit

HOPS
  • 1 oz Willamette @ boil
  • We omitted 1 oz Mt Hood @ 15, 1 oz Mt Hood @ 55 as called for in the original recipe, because we knew we'd be adding extra spices and we did not want hop/spice conflict. Bittering hops only are sufficient.

OTHER BREWPOT ADDITIONS
  • 1 tsp Gypsum @ boil (on original recipe sheet--opinions vary on needing this, but it can't hurt.)
  • 1/4 Campden tablet added @ boil (to defeat chlorine, chloramine)
  • Bagged roasted sugar pie pumpkin (4 lbs) @ 20 into boil
  • 1 tsp Irish moss @ 45 min into boil

SPICE PACKAGE
Thanks to TyTanium on the Pumking thread for this spice combo. Refer to brewing and fermenting notes below for how to add spices.
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 freshly grated nutmeg seed
  • 0.5 tsp allspice
  • 0.25 tsp whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp McCormick Imitation Butter-Nut Flavor liquid extract at bottling

YEAST
Wyeast 1469 Yorkshire. We just used a single smack pack and it worked out fine, you may wish to use a starter.

PREPARING THE PUMPKIN
Get 10 lbs of sugar pie pumpkin. Chop into wedges and de-seed. Bake at 350F until the meat is soft, and the tips of the pumpkins turn dark brown, about 45-60 minutes. Scoop meat off the rind and place all the meat into several disposable muslin bags.

10 lbs of sugar pie pumpkin yields about 4 lbs of prepared meat for the brewpot. More pumpkin couldn't hurt!

BREWING
Bring 5 gallons of water to 150F and steep specialty grains for 15 minutes, then remove bag.

Bring water to the boil. Turn off heat, add malt, stir until dissolved, return to boil. Add Willamette hops. Add pumpkin meat after 20 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes total. Top off with boiling water as needed to hit 5 gallons total at the end of the boil.

You may want to delay the addition of the LME, as is common in extract brewing. This would help make the final product more orange.

Cool to pitching temperature as usual. When wort reaches 160F, add the spice package--but not the liquid flavor extract.

FERMENTING
Suggested 3 weeks in the mid-60s, but follow the directions on your yeast. We did not use any kind of secondary vessel.

Check gravity and taste at 1 week. If you want more spice flavor, add a second spice package, soaked in 151 or some other sanitizing booze. I found that adding the spices to the cooling wort did not produce enough spice flavor for my taste, your opinion may differ. Also, when straining out the brewpot gunk, many of the spices surely get left behind. Adding a second dose to the fermentation bucket made the spice levels in the final product just right.

BOTTLING
Add 1/4 tsp McCormick Imitation Butter-Nut Flavor liquid extract to bottling bucket. Bottle as usual with priming sugar of your choice, such as 3/4 cup corn sugar.

With bottles stored in the low 70s, this beer was carbonated and drinkable in 2 weeks.

WHAT WOULD I CHANGE NEXT TIME?
I would double the amount of ginger in the spice package, and buy 15 lbs of raw pumpkin instead of 10. And I really like biscuit malt, so I might double the amount in the steeping grains.

If you remember, what was the alcohol content of this beer? I'm just curious, because I know that Pumking has an ABV% of around 8.5. Also if you have any other tips for making this beer please let me know, I'm gonna start brewing this one in about a week so it will be ready for fall.

Thanks, TJ

According to my notes, it came out at 4.7% and I got 73% attenuation, about right for that yeast. I am sure you could modify the recipe to make it bigger.

I've recently become a fan of Wyeast 1450, and when I make this again I will probably try using it instead of the Yorkshire yeast in the first batch.

Based on some other stuff I made since this ale, the next time I make this I'm going to add the spices in the last 5 minutes of the boil, NOT at 160F, and swap out ground cinnamon for a stick. That should boost all spices a bit. I'll also leave ginger at 2 tsp as listed--I can always add more of any spice to the fermenter if need to tweak the balance.

Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.

I've been looking for a Halloween ale to make something on the lines of an esb. I might try brewing this next weekend!

Back