Iodine Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
I bought some of the "Gentle Iodine" from Tractor Supply that has 1% titratable iodine... my question is that I have read on here that I am to use 1.5 tablespoons of the iodine solution to 5 gallons of water and that it should end up as a straw color. However, when I mix that amount, the water doesn't change color at all. Am I mixing the right amount of solution?

When I use it, that's the ratio I've been using. Maybe they've changed their dye or something? Can you smell the iodine in it? What happens when you add 2 tbs?

It really doesn't have much of a smell... maybe it is just faint to me. But for the fun of it just now, I put 2 tablespoons into a 2.5 gallon bucket of water... that changed the water color a very slight shade. Not a huge color change though. I did however slightly smell the iodine after pouring it out and smelling the bucket. I guess my main concern is if I was putting enough in the 5 gallon mixture to make a true sanitizing solution... if 1.5 tablespoons is the correct no rinse amount, I'll just overlook the color.

Back