Trying A Cider - Graff's Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyMatt

Reaction score
So I am going to try my hand at some of the Graff's cider, it sounds really good and easy to make. The issue is that I do not keg so I will be bottling. I know that he suggests 3/4 cup of dextrose for bottling and that after three weeks the stuff should be good to go. My issue is that will I need to heat pasteurize the bottles to make sure they don't explode? I will probably just run them throw the dishwasher in order to stop the carbonation.

Hi Matt. I've not made Graff, I'm sure others who have will be by to share their experiences.

If you let the apple cider and malt ferment out fully, until the specific gravity is steady and at final gravity, then you can prime, bottle and not worry about bottle bombs. In this case, the apple cider should ferment out fully, so it is completely dry, I think, but the malt will still have some sweetness in it (just as in a beer) so the Graff will have some sweetness.

If you bottle before the fermentation is complete, while the specific gravity is still moving, then you need to use some method to stop the yeast or you will end up with bottle bombs. Your options include: cold crash the graff and keg; bottle condition and then cold crash the bottles; or bottle condition and pasteurize.

Good luck!

Gotcha, I am thinking it will probably ferment out by then. I just had visions of exploding apple juice geysers in the house with my wife wanting to kill me! The malts will still make it on the sweeter side I assume. I like Woodchuck and other ciders but hate wine so as long as it is not dry like a wine I should be good.

Sounds good to me!

Hey Matt,

When I do graff I like to give it 4 weeks in the fermenter to help with clarity and make absolutely sure it is done fermenting. Bottling Graff is exactly like bottling beer. As long as all original sugars are fermented out you will not have bottle bombs with 3/4 cup of dextrose. Everyone who has tried my Graff has liked it. Not one person has not. It is very drinkable and has just the right sweetness. So don't worry:mug:.

Tim that sounds good! I got it fermenting away right now, I took gravity readings and will make sure that it is DONE before bottling just to make sure. Would using a secondary help wth clarity? Right now the stuff looks like pumpkin pie! I did cool the wort before adding to the apple juice. Using nottingham and this stuff is doing great and smells good. I ended up using FRESH cider, pressed the day before.

All batches of Graff I have made have been pretty clear after 4 weeks in primary with no secondary. If you chilled your wort before addinf to the apple juice you should have clear beverage. I know it looks murky now but you would be amazed how the yeast will drop out and leave a nice dark amber liquid.

Good luck:mug:.

Back