Good source for affordable fuses.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy0498

Reaction score
I'm working on a Control Box box project and the only thing I have left to buy are fuses/fuse blocks to protect my low voltage PID, Pumps, etc. My budget on this project is almost gone. I've done some looking around and I seem to get lost in all the different classes of fuses/blocks and wild variations in cost when trying to piece together the most affordable setup.

Are there any recommendations for the type (Midget, CC, etc.) and place that I can get a good deal on everything?

Thanks for the help!

or goto your local auto junk yard. pull out a fuse block and bunch of fuses..

Automotive style fuses are not suitable for a brew rig application. You will want fuses and holders rated for the voltage you are dealing with.

I don't really have time for a Junk Yard scavenger hunt. I'm cheap, but I'm not quite that cheap.

I figure that I need:

1 - .5A Fast Acting for the Auber PID (For BK)
2 - 2A Slow Blow for the March Pumps
1 - 15A Fast Acting for the Love TS2 (For HLT)

My only issue with Automation direct is that the fuses only come in 10 Packs. I don't think I need 9 spare fuses.

Anyone have any experience with discountfuse.com? I can get the 4 fuses (CC) I need plus 2 2-pole fuse blocks for about $40 after w/ shipping.

I just go to Radio Shack

I actually ordered from Radio shack online and then second guessed it...I found 250V fuses with the right amp ratings with this f this 4-pole fuse holder:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062258

But looking closer at the fuse holder, it looks like you need to solder the wires directly to fuse holder. It also looks like it's gears more towards automotive applications, so I questioned whether it was suitable for a control box.

-Chris

Back