Ferm Temp swings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetzie

Wetzelbrew
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a chart or basic instructions for when your fermentation temps rise and fall or if they are too low or high.
I have a Irish ale started a couple of days ago and I mistakenly put it in the basement where the thermometer in the thermowell indicated a beer temp of 57. Activity started in 12 hours and the temp rose to 60. I put it in a warmer room and the activity shot up at hour 36 and the beer temp is 74.
It is a partial mash with Nottingham dry yeast.
What effects will this do to the taste of the beer?
Should I cool it down?
thank you:drunk:

Keep it in the basement next time. I've had undrinkable beer from fermenting at 75*. multiple times.

yikes, beer is most vulnerable while fermenting. Its my belief that maintaining stable fermenting temperatures is the single most important thing (other than sanitation) for consistant beers.

What you have to worry about is stressign yeast with swings. 57 is likely below the optimum range for the yeast and 74 is too high. not sure about charts, but the yeast you buy should give you an operating window.

Where you start your yeast in that window, you should try to hold it there. I would try to stabilize yor temps, and just wait it out. You could very well have a beer that turns out fine. Just keep good notes on your process and how the beer turns out in the end, then you can learn for future refference.

Latest posts

Back